BLUE DEMPSEY????...anyone?

ari

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i got this fish from a friend of mine a few days back....i dont know really , but it doesnt go down well with me...i just cant make myself to accept this fish . it doesnt look it could survive a full day in my CA tank....but i could be wrong.
so , lets see how popular this fish is ....WILL u keep such a fish?? lets hear what the rest have to say.

Dscn3040.jpg

Rscn3041.jpg

doing time in its quarantin tank...rather timid looking fish, but i heard its pretty expensive.

Heck, I'd keep it! That's a gorgeous fish :wub:
Don't keep him if you don't think he can survive with the fish you currently have, but if you can make things work, I think he'd be worth having around

Blue Dempseys.Simply GORGEOUS!
Are you kidding me?you know how many people would like to get their hands on one of those.........They aren't too common and I know that they are going to be part of my next tank.
It's also a very interesting story how they became blues.

heres the skinny on them. and all of this is second hand as I have never kept them.
while they are genitically the same as any other JD they are a weaker color strain. they have a high rate of mortality to many deases that many other JDs would just shake off. and if they are intended to breed you are supposed to breed them with a normal JD other wise there is an even higher rate of malformities and death amongst the fry.

would I keep them in a word NO!!!! would they do well in your CA tank highly doubtful.

I respect your point of view Juanveldez,and I know where you're coming from but,I don't mind having a "weaker" dempsey ,just like I don't mind having an albino super veil angel over a regular stripped one.Of course it isn't as strong,and yes it is more proned to have problems,but still I rather have something not as common than just a regular fish,not that there is anything wrong with the regular JD's.That's just my opinion.

they really aren't all that rare either. I know for a fact that Jeff Rapps gets them in on a regular basis. but on the other hand they are also raither expensive when compaired to a normal JD. though it isn't anything that I havn't spent on a fish before.

juanveldez said:
they really aren't all that rare either. I know for a fact that Jeff Rapps gets them in on a regular basis. but on the other hand they are also raither expensive when compaired to a normal JD. though it isn't anything that I havn't spent on a fish before.
u got a point...i wouldnt pay a dollar for it. this fish has been around for a few years now ...and it seems , in thailand anyhow, that nobody has yet to breed them, and that really sounds like a another Blood Parrot to me.... one of the reasons why i never got it when it first came into the market.
this friend of mine got 60 fishes from a breeder in guanzhou, china...maybe they know to breed this fish..hehehe, but they are not telling, im sure

juanveldez said:
they really aren't all that rare either. I know for a fact that Jeff Rapps gets them in on a regular basis.
Well,if you are talking about the USA and Asia of course they are much more common there.But,since this is rather an international forum,I can assure you they are not that common in Southamerica,Africa or even Europe,I don't know about Oceania.
Once again,I agree that they may be a bit pricey,although nothing outredgeous,but if you like them buy them.It's the same with german rams,more delicate,need special care and some might die and yet they're more expensive simply 'cause they are bigger and better colored.

ari said:
juanveldez said:
u got a point...i wouldnt pay a dollar for it. this fish has been around for a few years now ...and it seems , in thailand anyhow, that nobody has yet to breed them, and that really sounds like a another Blood Parrot to me.... one of the reasons why i never got it when it first came into the market.
this friend of mine got 60 fishes from a breeder in guanzhou, china...maybe they know to breed this fish..hehehe, but they are not telling, im sure
actually not that hard to breed at all. all you have to do is figure out if you have a male or a female and then get the opposite sex in a regular JD and there you have it. its all through selective breeding culling out the regular looking JDs raising those with more blue and then keep on breeding them.

I actually like the natural JD better because of it's strength and I think just looking at such a metallic fish every day of the year would give me a headache.

The delicacy of the fish seems to make housing them more of a challenge… one that I personally welcome..

The color issue is a matter of personal preference… I like the Blue JDs very much..

juanveldez said:
ari said:
juanveldez said:
they really aren't all that rare either.  I know for a fact that Jeff Rapps gets them in on a regular basis.  but on the other hand they are also raither expensive when compaired to a normal JD.  though it isn't anything that I havn't spent on a fish before.
actually not that hard to breed at all. all you have to do is figure out if you have a male or a female and then get the opposite sex in a regular JD and there you have it. its all through selective breeding culling out the regular looking JDs raising those with more blue and then keep on breeding them.
I thought the regular jd had to be identified as carrying the recessive genes for the blue color, not just any jd will do. But I could be wrong, I don't recall all the details Jeff laid out after the genetic testing was done, it's been a long time.

same here redgold if I remember right the details were that the blues were genitically identical to regular JDs. so I belive that though line breeding them, you should be able to eventually achive the same results.

Here's what I've always heard....

blue dempsey + blue dempsey = near 100% mortality rate

blue dempsey + normal dempsey = all normal dempsey fry, which all carry the blue dempsey recessive gene

blue dempsey + normal dempsey carrying the blue recessive gene = ~75% normal dempsey fry and ~25% blue dempsey fry. if the blue dempsey fry aren't separated as soon as possible, they will be killed by the larger, stronger normal dempsey fry.

So, if you took a blue dempsey and bred it to a regular dempsey, then grew up the fry and again took one of those and bred it back to a blue dempsey then you should start seeing a small percentage of blue dempsey fry. :)

Most reactions

Back