Bloodworm

tom_os

fish
Reaction score
i went to my lfs today and bought 2 albino corys and a guppy for my tank and also i bought a pack of frozen bloodworm.

its in small cubes about 1cm squared, just wondering how much to give my fish tonight, i feed them daily.

i have a 60l tank with 2 guppys 2 danios 1 tiger barb and 2 albino corys

can anyone help me?

thanks

I feed a frozen treat 1-2 a week. I would say that 1/2 a cube should be plenty. My cories do not seem to enjoy bloodworms anyway.

I feed a frozen treat 1-2 a week. I would say that 1/2 a cube should be plenty. My cories do not seem to enjoy bloodworms anyway.

oh ok thanks, well i have just given them about half a cube gradually and the corys have a had a bit, i will give them some of their pellets also then, thanks

You should also adjust your stocking a little. For the sake of the fish, I'd personally remove the danios and tiger barb, then up the number of albino corys (just a suggestion).

your in a fish in cycle right????!!!!

why did you buy the corys? :crazy?

they need a tank of around 3 months maturity, and your still cycling, the ammonia will probably kill them, sorry to sound so negative

hey tom

tiger barbs need to be in a shoal of around 8 and need a 100cm long tank. same idea for danios i believe.

corys are better in a shoal - 4 to 6 if possible

my corys love bloodworm but IMO half a cube is too much for your stocking, 1/4 may be better. i cut the cube with a scissors and leave it defrost before feeding (also easier for small fish to handle when its cut) . also it might be an idea to change your water immediately after feeding bloodworm as any uneaten bloodworm will probably produce a good bit of ammonia.

if your tank is not cycled as truck said you shouldn't add any more fish though

The danios reallu need more swimming room as they are very actie swimmers. All of the fish except the are schooling fish and really need to be in groups of at least 3 preferably 6+. For the guppies, if you have both male and female, you need a 2 female to 1 male mix. If you have 2 males and 1 female, the males will harass her to death.

As for the bloodworms, it really depends on what size cubes they are. I have bought packs with about half inch square cubes and others that are about twice that size. If you have ths small cubes, then half a cube is probably fine but if t's the large cubes, then you probably only need a third to a quarter. The est way to defrost them is to simply dip out a little tank water in a cup and drop it in. Stir a little and then our it in the tank. Be careful and don't feed bloodworms too often (once a week is fine) as they are high in protein, thus harder to digest, and can cause constipation issues.

Hi tom_os :)

Corys love frozen bloodworms since meaty foods is an important part of their diet. I like to feed mine live blackworms best, but buy the frozen bloodworms by the pound so that I always have them on hand. I like to let mine stand at room temperature until they defrost and then spill the excess blood off before I feed it.

To get it to the bottom of the tank more quickly, after defrosting it I take the mass of them and, using a small cocktail fork, put them under the water and flick the fork downward. It will give them a bit of a push so some of them will reach the bottom before the other fish eat them all.

If your cycle hasn't finished be prepared for a setback since you've added more fish. Be sure to increase your water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite low and avoid harming the fish and make very sure there is no uneaten food left in the tank when they have all had their fill.

If you get pictures of your new corys, we'd love to see them in the Cory section. :)

Hi tom_os :)

Corys love frozen bloodworms since meaty foods is an important part of their diet. I like to feed mine live blackworms best, but buy the frozen bloodworms by the pound so that I always have them on hand. I like to let mine stand at room temperature until they defrost and then spill the excess blood off before I feed it.

To get it to the bottom of the tank more quickly, after defrosting it I take the mass of them and, using a small cocktail fork, put them under the water and flick the fork downward. It will give them a bit of a push so some of them will reach the bottom before the other fish eat them all.

If your cycle hasn't finished be prepared for a setback since you've added more fish. Be sure to increase your water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite low and avoid harming the fish and make very sure there is no uneaten food left in the tank when they have all had their fill.

If you get pictures of your new corys, we'd love to see them in the Cory section. :)

hi inchworm

thank you very much for your helpful and relevant advice, and i will do my best to get some pics!

thanks

Most reactions

Back