Black Slate

Verminator89

Jack Dempsey Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black Slate, or something to similar effect. For a visual representation of what i would like, or am trying to find its closest possible match here is a link. At 0:06 of this 1:18 long video it shows black slate. Where the devil do i find such slate. I myself am in the Coventry area of the West Midlands and in the last week i've been to several garden centres in the hope of finding some slate similar to this - but with no luck. Alls i've been able to find is slate, and it all seems to be over 1ft long by 4" wide (#128###), or just really really square and unatural. Where can i find rocks this sort of shape/size. Please someone!

THE VIDEO LINK
I do NOT own the rights to this video, the respective owner on YouTube does.

At 0:06 it shows the rocks, i'm after the same if not very similar slate to the same effect. Shape and size. Garden centres are useless and aquatics centres charge an arm and a leg for rocks. I'm getting tempted to make the long journey up to the peak district JUST to get some hardscape.

Why are garden centres so freaking useless, does anyone have any suggestions where? Be it online, local(ish) to the west midlands or whatever.

Thanks, James

Could try your local builders supplier they will sell some sort of stone/slate you will be after. Im sure if you explain your needs they will do you a deal on a small handful instead of buying a ton lol. Hope it helps!

The other places to try for black slate would be local stonemasons. Try googling for local stonemasons and give them a call.

Good luck :good:

I just came back from a local garden centre today with £21 worth of slate "pebbles", however i painstakingly sifted through a massive crater of slate they had to pick 30 single rocks that were unique. So i have a nice selection now that can be used for centre pieces, some that can be used as a wedge holding wood in place, some to stack vertically as a centre piece and then a few that can be placed length ways flat on the bottom. All with interesting contoured edges :) Overall i'm very happy with my haul. I even convinced the girlfriend to get her hands dirty and sort through the stock also - tbh she volunteered :/ I reckon she fell on her head personally :hey:

Very happy that after 2 weeks of searching LFA and garden centres i have been able to find the rocks for my up-coming Amazon Biotope. Now for the 5 week wait for my tank.

Get some pictures on when its done redoing mine tomorow

Most reactions

Back