Black Sand

I've got a black substrate that is very similar to sand. It's extremely fine black shiney gravel. I can't remember the name but as soon as I get home I'll post it. It's about 2 months old and hasn't faded like the black gravel in my bigger tank. I'm in the U.S. though.

You can get both black gravel and black sand online. Your best bet for black sand seems to be Tahitian Moon Sand, working out to about £14 for 20lb or thereabouts. Black gravel is slightly cheaper, but, from the photos I've seen, looks less awesome. I'm setting up a new tank in the coming few weeks with black sand so I'll let you know how it goes. :D

You can get both black gravel and black sand online. Your best bet for black sand seems to be Tahitian Moon Sand, working out to about £14 for 20lb or thereabouts. Black gravel is slightly cheaper, but, from the photos I've seen, looks less awesome. I'm setting up a new tank in the coming few weeks with black sand so I'll let you know how it goes. :D
thanx for the link - think thats what I'm after
Would love to see some pics of your tank when you have it in
:good:

That's the same stuff I got. It's CaribSea Super Naturals aquarium gravel. Tahitian moon.

Yep I've got some black sand, it claims to be "marine sand" but it's really not, has no pH buffering qualities and states to be suitable for freshwater or saltwater tanks.

Even if the sand says "marine sand" I'd give it a check out. I wasn't sure at first with this stuff but it's been working fine :good:

I thought it might be more a pain than it really is. It's actually quite nice. My corys love to play in the sand. :)

Most reactions

Back