Black C. Aenus .....

nurglespuss

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hi all I've just found some black C. aenus for sale, and am idding on them... (group of 5)

never seen black ones before, are they readily available, or should I be prepared to pay a decent whack?

Thery are not very common. I saw a store offering them for 12.99 awhile back. Your cost may depend on who is bidding on them.

Hi all I've just found some black C. aenus for sale, and am idding on them... (group of 5)

never seen black ones before, are they readily available, or should I be prepared to pay a decent whack?

The black variety is not common, but is not the rarest of the colour morphs. Its well worth the buy, as their care is exactly the same as normal bronze cories, but the fry are worth more. I did manage to breed a black C. Trilineatus, but unfortunatly it died before being big enough to breed :( :good:

AB has 2 auctions going with C black aeneus. Frank's and another for 5 x 3/4" to 1" F1. I would expect the price to continue to raise.

here

and

here

Hi all, it was on ebay, they went for £67 in the end! Above ehat i was prepared to pay, next time!

It totally sucks living in australia. We arent allowed to sell fish/plants on ebay and we dont have anything like aquabid. I hate australia. Sorry about the rant. Thats a shame nurglespuss that they went out of your price range. Ive always liked the Black C. Aeneus.

This maybe little off topic but I always wonder which species they are developed from. You know the Black Aeneus is man made. Must be selective bred. And looking my C.Melanotaenia and make me wonder if they are the specie which used. I see the similarity of their body shape and fin color. And C.Melanotaenia have some black coloring in the middle of body.
Of course, I don't have any scientific validation of this but just a wild guess. :unsure:

I dont think they are man made. I might just be thinking this because they are sometimes called Corydoras Aeneus Venezuela.

Edit: After doing some quick research I found at that they are actually Corydoras schultzei. And that they are man made. I never knew that. We learn something new everyday.

I am confused! If it is another kind of fish... why do they call it c. aeneus?

"man made" :rofl:

Can you provide a link to the formula for making Corys (or any other form of life)? :shifty:

Check this one. It seems to indicate that these are originally wild and an aquarium strain first bred in Germany. How is that different from any aquarium strain?

here

So far the info is sketchy and hard to find from a variety of sources. But the designation cf. often seems to mean that the classifications are incomplete and inconclusive. My dwarf synos were cf. and sp. dwarf petrocolas when I bought them and I fought several battles regarding their authenticity. But they have now been classified as other than petrocola and have been confirmed as authentic by PlanetCatfish.

"man made" :rofl:

Can you provide a link to the formula for making Corys (or any other form of life)? :shifty:

lol, now who's trolling the forum sue :hyper:

hehe, yeah they are just a colour strain of normal corydora, even the bronze corys we see in the shops are nothing like the bronze cories from the wild.

<<me lurking>>

But in reality I was already in this conversation when the "man made" comment came up. I didn't start it. In addition, I just bought three of these babies from Frank in the thread below--or above, as the case may be. :p

I think the implication is that because the Chechs are now breeding them, they are all suspect of hormones. But the US is not the UK (although this thread is UK), and the same accusations were made about my dwarf pets.

By the way, does the UK have it's own ebay? Do you check that the fish are in the UK before you bid? I am ignorant still. :blush:

I think the implication from Studz is that there are "black" morphs in more than one species. (He had a trili.) After all albino is a morph in the wild; they just don't tend to survive. And as Studz says, wild caught are different than tank bred at any time. That's why wild caught are desirable for breeding.

I have an email from Frank with the assurance that the black Corys he is sending me are the spawn of parents caught in the wilds of Venezuela, and they are not German mutants.

Their designation is still disputed, and they will probably finally get one of their own--just like my dwarf "petrocolas."

Please speak sweetly to my new fish in the now in Fed Ex transport and apologize to them for any denegrating thought. :)

I think once I get room enough to start breeding cories again I'm gonna have to go on a little experdition and get some wild cories myself :) well i'd have to save for the trip too, should cost about £2000, me thinks. It seems wild tanks breds are the way to go :good:

Most reactions

Back