Black Background Makes Betta Flare

MrNiceGuy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i put black posterboard behind the tank as a background and it looked really nice... but my betta just flares at it continuously. i think he can see his reflection in the glass when the posters there. would this same problem occur if i painted it? any thoughts?

i put black posterboard behind the tank as a background and it looked really nice... but my betta just flares at it continuously. i think he can see his reflection in the glass when the posters there. would this same problem occur if i painted it? any thoughts?
you may have answered your own question :good:

This problem has occured before. All I can suggest is to grow some plants up to cover it a bit and hope your betta settles over time. But yes no matter how you make it black it will give a reflection.

How long has the black background been up?

Painting it black will mean you still have a black background covered by reflective glass so yes it will give the same result. Try using blue or green card instead, or buy a generic printed aquarium background from a store. Having a lot of plants and covering the back wall with them will also block his view of himself.

This problem has occured before. All I can suggest is to grow some plants up to cover it a bit and hope your betta settles over time. But yes no matter how you make it black it will give a reflection.

How long has the black background been up?

i set the background up for about 3 minutes and then i took it down. it was immediately obvious that he wasn't having it

I have my Betta's next to each other or have a mirror next to them so they can flare and get their exercise 14 hours a day 7 days a week. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to watch him flare. If they get tired of flaring at the guy on the right they can turn around and flare at the guy on the left. They don't get "overstressed" or "rip their fins" like some people say. I keep and breed Betta's for their beauty and the joy of watching them flare so I don't see the problem.

I have my Betta's next to each other or have a mirror next to them so they can flare and get their exercise 14 hours a day 7 days a week. I don't understand why you wouldn't want to watch him flare. If they get tired of flaring at the guy on the right they can turn around and flare at the guy on the left. They don't get "overstressed" or "rip their fins" like some people say. I keep and breed Betta's for their beauty and the joy of watching them flare so I don't see the problem.

i disagree. bettas flare at their reflections because they believe there is an imminent threat. I understand that occasional flaring promotes good health, but i think its logical to assume that a constant feeling of being threatened would stress a fish out.

i disagree. bettas flare at their reflections because they believe there is an imminent threat. I understand that occasional flaring promotes good health, but i think its logical to assume that a constant feeling of being threatened would stress a fish out.

Yeah, I agree flaring can be good exercise but constant flaring must be stressful. I would not want my fish constantly stressed just for my own enjoyment.

I added a black background to my tank not long ago and my betta was always flaring at it. I gave him a few days to adjust but he didn't get used to it. He also became more aggressive towards the pygmy corys in the tank and was always either building or guarding his bubble nest. Shortly after he became ill with white spot. I can't know for sure that the stress caused the white spot, but I suspect that it did. I took the background down, obviously.

My background is black too and one of mine LOVES to flare at himself. At first he wouldn't quit. He was stressing himself, but after a few days he has stopped mostly. He only does once in a while when he seems bored.

Most reactions

Back