Big Water Change

SLIM

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi everyone

As some of you may know i have a new 260L aquarium and it is almost done cycling.
Il have to do my 90-100% water change very soon just before i add my fish.

QUESTION

When doin my big water change can i use hot water from my hot water tap to get the temperature right?
(using water conditioner of course)

Just that if i have to use boiled water, its gona take ALOT of kettles to get 260L to the right temp and will take a fair bit of time and money!

Iv read somewhere that you can only keep the filter off whilst doin this big water change for a maximum of 2 hours before the bacteria starts dying and i recon emptying, refilling then adjusting temp with LOTS of kettle water will take longer than this!

Iv seen people on Youtube use there hot water tap plus you can buy a Python no spill kit designed for aquariums that uses both hot and cold tap water which is ideal and suggests it ok.

I just thought i would ask you lot first and see what you think as all the advice iv had from here so far has been spot on.

Please help.
Please tell me hot water tap is ok lol

Thank you for your time and advice

Paul

I use hot water from my tap all the time with no problems at all :good:

IF you`re in the UK you`ll find it very, very difficult to get hold of one of the pythons but they do look like a great bit of kit B-)

the only time i would have any issue with using water from hot tap is if you have a very old house with open tank in attic. otherwise you should be fine. I use hot water to fill my tanks.

Hi everyone

As some of you may know i have a new 260L aquarium and it is almost done cycling.
Il have to do my 90-100% water change very soon just before i add my fish.

QUESTION

When doin my big water change can i use hot water from my hot water tap to get the temperature right?
(using water conditioner of course)

Just that if i have to use boiled water, its gona take ALOT of kettles to get 260L to the right temp and will take a fair bit of time and money!

Iv read somewhere that you can only keep the filter off whilst doin this big water change for a maximum of 2 hours before the bacteria starts dying and i recon emptying, refilling then adjusting temp with LOTS of kettle water will take longer than this!

Iv seen people on Youtube use there hot water tap plus you can buy a Python no spill kit designed for aquariums that uses both hot and cold tap water which is ideal and suggests it ok.

I just thought i would ask you lot first and see what you think as all the advice iv had from here so far has been spot on.

Please help.
Please tell me hot water tap is ok lol

Thank you for your time and advice

Paul
yeah there is no problem with hot water tap usage. this is a wives tale from many years ago. still persists though.

the only time i would have any issue with using water from hot tap is if you have a very old house with open tank in attic.

mine has a header tank in the attic, though the water is heated in an immersion heater. the water is safe to drink, so no reason its not safe for fish.

Brilliant thanx everyone just what i wanted to hear.

The only reason i was concerned was because i read somewhere that our hot water tap can contain metals such as copper and rust elements.
But if u lot say its safe then great i will definately b taking ur advice!

Heres my stock wish list. Please let me know if u see a problem.

8-10 Danios
4 Angel fish
4 Gouarmi
8 Corys
10 Fancy Guppis (not 100% sure on these yet)
And 1 Male Betta
What do u think and do u have any other suggestions??
Aiming for a peaceful community

Thanx for ur feedback

European (German) version of the Python available here:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/water_and_plant_care/cleaning_equipment/water_exchange_and_floor_cleaning/102655

I jerry rig a piece of hosepipe to my electricaly heated shower & run that through the house to the tank. then just set it to the desired temp & sit back.

I jerry rig a piece of hosepipe to my electricaly heated shower & run that through the house to the tank. then just set it to the desired temp & sit back.

hahaha thats brilliant!

European (German) version of the Python available here:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/water_and_plant_care/cleaning_equipment/water_exchange_and_floor_cleaning/102655
Great thanx. Do u have one? They any good? Does the syphon start automatically or do u hafta start the syphon off manually wen emptying?

Brilliant thanx everyone just what i wanted to hear.

The only reason i was concerned was because i read somewhere that our hot water tap can contain metals such as copper and rust elements.
But if u lot say its safe then great i will definately b taking ur advice!

As long as you use a good dechlorinator such as Seachem Prime (or similar to) remove the metals and other chemicals from the water, it`ll be fine :)

I have a Python (the JBL version above).

The pressure in my taps was never enough to make it work properly.

Now I just pump out my water with a 2000L/H pump that cost £8 delivered. Much quicker and easier.

You'd be better off with a hose and a cheap chinese water pump.

I have a Python but I never use the valve device that uses tap pressure to create the suction to start the out-siphon of the tank. Instead, what I like about Python is that they have a large selection of brass adapters for different types of faucets and a selection of different length hoses and gravel-cleaning cylinders that you can mix and match. The hoses are a bit smaller diameter and more flexible than garden hose, making it easier to store under an interior sink for easy use. To get the out-siphon started I just do one or two simple cylinder lifts. Then I just hook up to the sink faucet for the return fill of the tank after I've adjusted the faucet water temp to match the tank. Never using the valve device means no wasted water.

I suppose my dream-world water change water though would be a large storage container in the top of a closet near the tank (or in the attic) that I could fill from a hose tap and let the water sit in all week and then siphon into the tank directly for a single fill. It would be great because all the CO2 would be gone (and if one had chlorine rather than chloramines then the chlorine would be gone too!)

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back