Big Fish With Small Mouths?

Yeah, the larger one will eat cherry shrimp and possibly the cardinals. M. kamaka, M. parva or any of the Pseudomagil species (blue eyes) should go well though.

Thanks for your help folks. Just posted a more specific topic about what fish to get, as i forgot to mention things such as my PH etc in this one which rules out the rainbows and keyholes :(

pH is unimportant for rainbows. In the wild they are found in water having a range of pH, from 5.0 to 9.0 I'm sure your pH isn't above this.

Ok, let me share some more details about these wonderful fish. They are an easy fish to keep provided you meet a few criteria:

1. Perform at least one 50% water change a week while cleaning your substrate (not two 25%, that doesn't equal a true 50% water change) and clean your filter monthly. This is very important for rainbows.

2. Feed a high protein diet (skip pellets, flake is better) supplemented with fresh plant material and live food (frozen is ok too, but live is better) (don't feed bloodworm, they have a chitinous head that can get stuck in the digestive tract of rainbows.) you will have to experiment to see what veggies your rainbows like. Mine liked yellow squash and nori sheets.

3. Rainbows aren't really a tropical fish in the strictest sense of the word. Tropical fish usually like their temperature a few degrees warmer than that which rainbows prefer. They can however survive higher temperatures, but it shortens their lifespan considerably. It's usually better to keep your tank's temperature at 25C since most tropical fish can thrive at that temperature and it's not too warm for rainbows. The main exceptions would be discus, rams, or any other high temperature fish.

There are of course exceptions to any rule, these are merely guidelines. But since you don't have much experience with rainbows, I would advise sticking to them and doing more research.

Hope this helps a bit, and maybe eases your mind a little.

a snakeskin gourami will get up to 8 inches. it has a pretty small mouth too, theyre supposed to be very peaceful.

Most reactions

Back