Big Fish With Small Mouths?

Rorie

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Looking for bigger display fish for my 360L aquarium which hosts cardinal tetras.....

I looked at discus, but too high flow. Angels? I hear they need low flow rate too?

So what would be a really nice, larger display fish which wont eat up my smaller fish?

loaches, synodontis, rainbows or a nice plec...

Yeah, a large group of rainbows would look great, and they love current in their tank. M. boesemani rainbows get pretty large as well as G. incisus and M. lacustris.

not so interested in the plecs and loaches as they are all bottom feeders, and currently my tank is a bit bottom heavy! Looking for mid to top feeders.

Am i right with angels? Or are they ok with a higher water current?

What do we think about a shark? Do their mouths get pretty big as they grow? I am just thinking that the rainbows would not have the striking appeal :/ Bit small like my bolivians......

+1 for drobbyb suggestions.

The blue from M. lacustris would look great in your setup.

+1 for drobbyb suggestions.

The blue from M. lacustris would look great in your setup.
hmm, i am not so sure.... dont look so amazing to me :/

For those that don't know, i am super fussy with my tank! So appologies and no offence if i say no haha.

So, angels....are they a no no in high flow? I am thinking they could be nice if i specifically order onces i like....

Problem is with angels, in the wild neon and cardinals are there sunday brunch, ive tried angels with cardinals and it ended in disaster, however some manage, how high is the flow, i wouldn't imagine its hurricane force :shifty: you would problem be ok, if not you could angle the flow? but this is not my reccomendation it's really trail and error.

Problem is with angels, in the wild neon and cardinals are there sunday brunch, ive tried angels with cardinals and it ended in disaster, however some manage, how high is the flow, i wouldn't imagine its hurricane force :shifty: you would problem be ok, if not you could angle the flow? but this is not my reccomendation it's really trail and error.

I went into my LFS and also called the other people i get fish from, and both said no no no to the angels with cardinals. Similar story to what you said - 30 cardinals + 6 "50p coin sized" angels and after a few month there were 3 cardinals left!

Hmm, dunno what fish to get now :(

Pearl Gourami only gets to 4" though? so wont stand out much either.

I have looked at discus for a long time, but as i have CO2 requiring plants, i need to keep my high flow rate :/ THis is my planted project, so plants come first :p Then my cardinals, i love them :p

Just had a look though my fish book... I assume the following are all no no's, but worth asking just to check :p You will see a cichlid trend, because they are looking to be larger and fill my "eye catching" criteria

Firemouth cichlid
oscar
convict cichlid
jewel cichlid
tropheops
white spotted cichlid
any sharks?

And the tbar you mention looks cool...do i assume i cant put that in with my cardinals?

Firemouth cichlid
oscar
convict cichlid
All will destroy the plants

jewel cichlid
tropheous
different continent to the cardinals, different water requirements

not sure about the white spot but unless it stays small i'd guess it'll munch on the plants for fun :)

Depending on the dimensions you could go for something like the torpedo barb or something similar,

Pearl Gourami only gets to 4" though? so wont stand out much either.
I've had Pearl Gouramis growing up to 4.8". According to my secret Gourami book, Pearl Gouramis grow up to a chunky size of 5". And if you get a pair, they will stand out a lot. :good:

Firemouth cichlid
oscar
convict cichlid
jewel cichlid
tropheops
white spotted cichlid
any sharks?

And the tbar you mention looks cool...do i assume i cant put that in with my cardinals?
Unfortunately none of these will work for various reasons. Stay away from large Cichlids, have a look at Dwarf Cichlids. Or a larger cichlid that is compatible in your tank is the Keyhole Cichlid.

Most reactions

Back