Bettas and light

GrullaQuarters

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I love my little cubbyhole in the basement. I have a finished office down there, it's a partially exposed basement, but this is tucked in the unexposed corner...no window. I've always wished our fish tank was down there (but then only I would be able to enjoy it!) but I am going betta tank shopping tomorrow or Saturday, and was wondering. Do bettas need natural light? Is it 'inhumane,' in a fishy sort of way, to have one in my basement office where there is no natural light? I spend a good amount of time down there throughout the day.....

But before I bought the tank, I want to decide which place I'm going to put it...and my top pic is the office!

Thanks for any insight.

That's why they have hood's with atrificial light sources....natural light is the #1 cause of Algea. I think your fish would be quite happy down there...no different then being in a office or a restuarant or a pet store.

Hmmm should you leave your light on 24-7? I currently turn mine off for a few hours every night.

It should be off for atleast 10 hours..they need rest time just like we do.

:rolleyes: I have plenty of natural light coming in so that I don't turn the light on until it starts getting dark. On rainy days I do turn the lights on in the morning. I do have a minor algae problem with the tanks nearest the window but since they get 100% water changes every few days, I just clean it off.

My tanks at work are away from the windows - i'm stuck in a cubicle in the middle of the office. And only turn the light on for Jasper for a few hours during the day, just because it's so hot in his tank to begin with - I don't wanna make him any warmer.

My other guys are pretty much away from natural light except for a tad bit of it that comes thru the blinds during the day.

I think you'd do just fine with one (or two or six!!!) tanks in your office. :p

If you have any live plants, it's best to put the lights on a timer so they get the same amount of light every day. Mine are on for 4 hrs every morning and 5 hours in the evening with a 7 hr break during the day when we're not there.

Most reactions

Back