Betta Vs. Other fish

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AfternoonNarwhale

Reaction score
What would you consider more rewarding/entertaining? A single Betta or a tank with a school of tetras, guppies, and platies?

IMO, I like bettas better. They have a ton more personality than say a group of neon tetras. :)

You can also train them. I have trained my betta to follow my finger on the glass, eat out of my hand (I make a cup with my hands, and he swims into it, then I feed him) and I have trained him to “Chase” his food. (I put a small piece of blood worm on my AquaScaping tweezer, and then run it through the water. He will chase it until he catches it. So much fun!) ;)

Again, this is just my opinion. :)

I have both and enjoy them equally the same. What size tank are you talking about?

Does it have to be neons, guppies and platies, or can I go for a school of rainbowfish, some gudgeons, pygmy perch or salamanderfish?
Because if I can have these fish, then they beat a Betta splendens hands down. There are also plenty of other Betta species that are better than a Betta hands down. Tongue twister :)

For a single betta, maybe 5 or ten gallon, probably a 20 gallon for the other fish:)

With respect to the 20 gallon "community" tank, this is still not all that much space. You would have more options with a 20g long as opposed to a standard (high) 20g. The former is 30 inches (75 cm) length compared to the latter's 24 inch (60 cm) length, and that makes quite a difference. And if you have the footprint space for the 20g long, a 29g which has the same length/width opens up considerably more options. Something to think about, as you are planning. The adage "get the largest tank you can afford and have space for" does have merit. :fish:

If you have the option of the larger tank and this is your first tank, then I would vote in favor of the community tank. I absolutely love bettas but it is so relaxing to sit and watch groups of the same breed schoal or school together and to see the different breeds living in harmony and co-existing in an underwater world. I think you have the opportunity to learn more when raising different fish also as opposed to only having hands on knowledge of one particular fish breed. I got my bettas after I spent time with a community tank. Either way, good luck and please, keep us posted. Oh, by the way, a 20 gallon long would be a nice starter tank for a community but you will want to expand as you go along. I would get the largest I can, within reason, if you have the space and means for it.

If you are a beginner, I recommend a betta. While a community tank might be more enjoyable to some, a betta is easier. I recommend a 10 gallon betta tank, with maybe some snails, and live plants. If you want a list of beginner live plants, I will be happy to supply you with one! ;) (All of the above is my opinion. :)j

Learning isn’t about taking the easy way out. As I said, the community tank is a great way to explore and learn with hands on experience. In the end however, it’s what interests you the most. Good luck with your decision and keep us posted. There is a wealth of experienced members on this forum who are happy to help you in your adventure!

If you are a beginner, I recommend a betta. While a community tank might be more enjoyable to some, a betta is easier. I recommend a 10 gallon betta tank, with maybe some snails, and live plants. If you want a list of beginner live plants, I will be happy to supply you with one! ;) (All of the above is my opinion. :)j

Thanks! I think I'm going to go for the single Betta. If it's not to much trouble, I'd love a list of live plants!

Some good plants to try include Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma, H. ruba/ rubra, Elodia (during summer, but don't buy it in winter because it falls apart), Hydrilla, common Amazon sword plant, narrow Vallis, Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta).
The Water Sprite normally floats on the surface but can also be planted in the substrate. The other plants should be planted in the gravel.

If you add an iron based aquarium plant fertiliser, it will help most aquarium plants do well. The liquid iron based fertilisers tend to be better than the tablet forms, although you can push the tablets under the roots of plants and that works well.
I use Sera Florena liquid plant fertiliser but there are other brands too.

Do not bother adding carbon fertiliser to the tank because they are not necessary.

-----------------------------
Most aquarium plants like a bit of light and if you only have the light on for a couple of hours a day, they struggle. If the light doesn't have a high enough wattage they also struggle. Try having the tank lights on for 10-12 hours a day.

If you get lots of green algae then reduce the light by an hour a day and monitor the algae over the next 2 weeks.
If you don't get any green algae on the glass then increase the lighting period by an hour and monitor it.
If you get a small amount of algae then the lighting time is about right.

Some plants will close their leaves up when they have had sufficient light. Ambulia, Hygrophilas and a few others close their top set of leaves first, then the next set and so on down the stem. When you see this happening, wait an hour after the leaves have closed up against the stem and then turn lights off.

Some more....

Anacharis

Java Fern

Moss balls not actually moss, it’s algae.)

Water Sprite

Java Moss

Amazon Swords

Dwarf HairGrass

These are just a few beginner plants! ;)

Anubias is also a really great plant. My betta loves swimming through the roots and under the leaves. I also really love vallisneria. It kind of mimics a rice plant and your betta will have fun swimming through it.

Oh God no! Don't get duckweed!! Duckweed is the source of all evil! Duckweed is satin of the plant world! Avoid it at all cost!!!!

Most reactions

Back