Betta Vs. Other fish

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

There's nothing wrong with Duckweed. If you are worried about it, put it in a breeding net and that will stop it going anywhere, but the plant will still be able to suck out nutrients from the water. You can also make up nets that are similar in style to breeding nets and keep the plant in that.

Duckweed, in my opinion, causes way too much trouble. It's so small, it drifts everywhere and makes a huge mess. Why not use something bigger like frogbit?

I just recently got some frogbit and really like it!

Duckweed is not the sort of plant you want here. With fish that live among floating vegetation, like the anabantids which includes gouramis and bettas, you want floating plants with more substance than duckweed. Water Sprite is ideal, and others are Frogbit, Water Lettuce, and some stem plants left floating can be useful. I have a thick mat of Brazilian Pennywort floating in my 29g blackwater tank and the pencilfish that live at the surface love swimming among all this tangle searching for microscopic critters to eat. With a Betta you want to keep some open space among such plants.

There is nothing wrong with duckweed as a plant in certain situations, but it is so tiny it covers the surface but there are no dangling root masses a few inches in depth and that is what you want here.

Most reactions

Back