Betta Mistreated, I've Taken It In. Attempting Rehab. Help?

Hi guys. Sorry I left you hanging. I fell asleep. Haha! I'm at work now, but I took some vids in a spare moment this morning and will post tonight.

I'm not home yet, but managed to upload one from my phone! :3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=iSj8uIztpXY

The little guy is still getting used to tank corners.. Haha!

Wow he is a beautiful fish I love the colors!

He will look amazing once he regrows his fins grow back and color returns.

Thanks for sharing remember to keep us updated :D

Yes, they will grow back in time.  I have found API Melafix to be very useful.  I believe they have a different version of Melafix for bettas called Bettafix, but I'm not sure what the difference is.

You can promote fin regrowth by doing good water changes, and a dash of salt.

I actually advise against any of this.  The meds with the word "fix" at the end of them tend to contain oils that cause problems with the labryth organ and adding salt is not necessary.  All that is needed to heal torn fins is warm very clean water and of course some time.  Aquarium salt, although there are some that will add to aid in healing all it really does is irritate the slime coat to help produce more slime and is hard on the betta's kidneys since they are not made to process the salt.
I think you did a really good thing for this guy and he is lucky to have someone like you take on his care the correct way.  Can't wait to watch his progress.  :)

I think so too.

I'm in love with him already. :)

I got another video up. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDnT7XMmk8w

Thanks Wildbeta, for that info! I'll keep him warm and clean. :)

I just really got to noticing his fins.  LOL  Don't know why it didn't hit me from the first video.  I claim sleep deprivation. LOL  His fins are extraordinarily long which means that he is probably an older betta.  Not a big deal but be aware that it could come with its own oddities in behavior.  It might mean that healing his fins will take a little longer than they would if he were younger but still should heal well with warm clean water.  Placing something in the tank that floats where he can rest would be great.  It is a great way to let the older bettas rest plus I know bettas of all ages that love to relax close to the surface.  :) 

I dunno if he is old, he was at my partner's work for a year and they bought him young, from a pet shop. My partner has told me he was smaller when they got him, so maybe he's just a fin-growing machine? Haha!

He does have the nice soft plants he likes to lie on, should I be putting more in for him? I want him to have enough room to manoover.. (How do you spell that? Haha!)

Also he does seem to be half missing his tail fin, maybe that's making it look longer?

I could try and get some close-ups tonight, if you like..

Here's him hiding.

I love how the upturned mouth on Bettas kinda make them look adorably grumpy. <3

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 130
Wildbetta said:
I actually advise against any of this.  The meds with the word "fix" at the end of them tend to contain oils that cause problems with the labryth organ and adding salt is not necessary.  All that is needed to heal torn fins is warm very clean water and of course some time.  Aquarium salt, although there are some that will add to aid in healing all it really does is irritate the slime coat to help produce more slime and is hard on the betta's kidneys since they are not made to process the salt.
I think you did a really good thing for this guy and he is lucky to have someone like you take on his care the correct way.  Can't wait to watch his progress.  
smile.png
Ah this is interesting.  I've actually never considered what the "fix" products might do to labyrinth fish.  I've only used Melafix to heal guppy fins.  Thanks for pointing this out.

I think the effects of salt are worth doing a little research on, on my part.  I'll report back if/when I find anything interesting.

I just realized my partner and I had a miscommunication re age of the Gus Fish. He may be old after all. Haha!

solsed said:
I just realized my partner and I had a miscommunication re age of the Gus Fish. He may be old after all. Haha!
Wildbetta isn't often wrong! ;)

I'll remember that.

Sorry for ever doubting you, Wildbetta!

Here's a better shot of him showing the damage..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 137

Most reactions

Back