The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishFinatic77

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I just bought some more leaf hammocks for my betta because he absolutely loves them, and I noticed he's been resting more as he's been getting older. I ordered these: https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-betta-bed-leaf-hammock/dp/154814
But, when I opened the packages, I noticed that the suction cups smell quite strongly like rubber. I have tried washing them, which seemed to help a little. I also left them out for a few days, but that hasn't seemed to change anything.
Are they still safe to use, or should I send them back?

I just bought some more leaf hammocks for my betta because he absolutely loves them, and I noticed he's been resting more as he's been getting older. I ordered these: https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-betta-bed-leaf-hammock/dp/154814
But, when I opened the packages, I noticed that the suction cups smell quite strongly like rubber. I have tried washing them, which seemed to help a little. I also left them out for a few days, but that hasn't seemed to change anything.
Well, its fresh from a factory so of course it'll have some scent of something... What you could do is soak it in a vinegar/water solution and then in normal water (with declorinator). I'd do each soak over night. You may be wondering why to soak it 2 times... The first soak is to get rid of the scent and to sanitize it while the second soak is to get rid of most of the vinegar. Vinegar is harmless in small amounts but don't think its not toxic when in higher amounts. Its definitely less toxic than bleach

Well, its fresh from a factory so of course it'll have some scent of something... What you could do is soak it in a vinegar/water solution and then in normal water (with declorinator). I'd do each soak over night. You may be wondering why to soak it 2 times... The first soak is to get rid of the scent and to sanitize it while the second soak is to get rid of most of the vinegar. Vinegar is harmless in small amounts but don't think its not toxic when in higher amounts. Its definitely less toxic than bleach
vinegar will mess up ph if there is too much

Okay, I'll try this. Thanks!

vinegar will mess up ph if there is too much
I won't use too much then.

Your Lucky Betta has a responsible keeper!
:nod::-

Most reactions

Back