Betta in heavily planted shrimp tank.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve got currently a 25G tank with very big cherry shrimp and lots of cover, java moss breeding tunnels, moss balls, java fern driftwood etc etc etc. My local fishkeeper keeps all his bettas in a 5G with cherry shrimp to control fry numbers which is something I am wanting to do myself. I was wondering whether or not thisnwill be successful, if anyone’s done it in the past before, etc etc.

I have had several bettas one by one over the years.

My last but one betta was very laid back so as an experiment I moved a few cherry shrimps into his tank. He ignored them, and the baby shrimps. The shrimp population increased and I always found babies in the water change bucket which I put into my main tank.
The next betta ignored the adult shrimps but obviously ate the babies as I no longer found babies in the bucket and the shrimp population stabilised.
My current betta attacked and killed the adult shrimps. I had to rescue the remaining ones and put them in my main tank.

It is all down to the temperament of the individual betta.

I have had several bettas one by one over the years.

My last but one betta was very laid back so as an experiment I moved a few cherry shrimps into his tank. He ignored them, and the baby shrimps. The shrimp population increased and I always found babies in the water change bucket which I put into my main tank.
The next betta ignored the adult shrimps but obviously ate the babies as I no longer found babies in the bucket and the shrimp population stabilised.
My current betta attacked and killed the adult shrimps. I had to rescue the remaining ones and put them in my main tank.

It is all down to the temperament of the individual betta.
Yeah that makes sense, I’ve got a community tank in a different 20G so if I see any signs of aggression I will simply move them. Did you enjoy the shrimp with the bettas whrn it worked?

Hey guys, I’ve got currently a 25G tank with very big cherry shrimp and lots of cover, java moss breeding tunnels, moss balls, java fern driftwood etc etc etc. My local fishkeeper keeps all his bettas in a 5G with cherry shrimp to control fry numbers which is something I am wanting to do myself. I was wondering whether or not thisnwill be successful, if anyone’s done it in the past before, etc etc.
I have seen this tanks before, but it comes down to the betta's personality. I have seen betta's eat the bigger cherry shrimp, maybe get a female?

I have seen this tanks before, but it comes down to the betta's personality. I have seen betta's eat the bigger cherry shrimp, maybe get a female?
I really want a crow tail betta so I think I may stick with that. Luckily the shrimp are in before the betta, guess reduces the image of it being dropped in as food. The sheimp are also only going to be in the tank for around 3 months before being placed in a Pygmy Cory tank :).

Most reactions

Back