Betta Flaring

Fish Sticks

Reaction score
Total newbie question. :p

I have two bettas and right now their tanks are beside eack other but I always keep something between the tanks so they can't see each other.

I love watching them flare at each other but it must be stressful on them, or atleast I would think it is. But then it would keep them occupied...

So do you let your bettas see each other? If so for how often?

I think it's okay, right? I read some place you can let you betta see it's reflection in a mirror (or look at other betta). I usually leave a mirror on the side of my tank for like 5 minutes or less. I always worry about my Betta being bored since he's in the room alone a lot of the time.

im sad my old betta never used to flare i tried mirrors and other pictures of bettas but he was not interested :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

its anything but stresfull. a stressed betta becomes withdrawn, looses its colour and gets the prominant strees stripes (males DO get them too). my two boys are in a divided tank and can see each other all the time. the colours on them are fantastic, very strong and they flare alot, but they seem to be get habituated to one another and dont pay as much attention ot each other anymore.

My males in the barracks see each other all day long and they actually seem happier than the ones in individual tanks - not all males like to be in that situation for long periods of time so make sure they have something they can get behind if they feel to threatened. Its good excersise too and as you say its nice to watch. How long you let you bettas see each other is up to your and your fish

i used to block the view of each other from my boys, until one decided to eat his tail :rolleyes: now they can consantly see each other, no sign of stress and his tail is growing back nicely too :good: they have the occasional flare when there after my attention or food

I usually let my males see eachother or mirrors for around 30 minutes a day, + or - 10 minutes. Its fun to watch them and its probably one of the coolest things about bettas =P

Sometimes mine will flare without anything in sight... :X

I'm sure I read somewhere about being cautious with HM's however, as they flare so strongly they can "blow" their fins... :unsure:

i used to block the view of each other from my boys, until one decided to eat his tail :rolleyes: now they can consantly see each other, no sign of stress and his tail is growing back nicely too :good: they have the occasional flare when there after my attention or food

What they can eat their tails and it will grow back???

also for everyone else is it normal that Wendy-Pepper is flaring one side and not the other when he is right up againist the side of the tank (The flaring is on the side the the mirror fish can see him on).

Oh I also find it funny when wendy-pepper sees his reflection is something when he is eating and flares up and goes after the flake he wants.

my betta doesnt seem interested in flaring, he'll come and see and wiggle around, come over when you call him.
i tried him with a mirror and he just ran away from it!
maybe he's part chicken

xXx

I rarely let mine see each other.
If I do, they flare for a bit; I have 3 males, one of them like never flares & the other two do LOL!
But my 2 females flare at each other sometimes, silly girls! :p
But yeah mine never really see each other.

Thanks for all the replys :D

I"ve decided to keep something between them but take it out for a couple of hours a day so they don't get too used to each other and I can still see some pretty flaring :D

Most reactions

Back