Betta Fish And Goldfish?

Okay, let's all keep nice... and... calm...

Nah, I'm still not calm. It really annoys me when people say you can keep goldfish in small tanks.

Just because you CAN keep a fish in cruel conditions doesn't mean you SHOULD. They may be hardy fish but they still deserve the best environment you can provide. A common or a comet MAY be hardier than a fancy but that's not a reason for keeping them in worse conditions. If you believe otherwise, then leaving aside the issue of your 'sources' I think it's your moral principles and ethics you should be examining.

Bettas also suffer from these sorts of misconceptions.

To get back on topic:

Goldfish -- need a nice big (30g MINIMUM for two comets) coldwater tank with plenty of filtration and water agitation.
Betta -- need a nice small but not tiny (2-5g) tropical tank with very slow water flow.

Even leaving aside behavioural issues they are clearly incompatible tankmates.

AngelOfDeath
View Member Profile
Add as Friend
Send Message
Find Member's Topics
Find Member's Posts

post Today, 04:25 PM
Post #27

Just Plain Crazy

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 38299

Edited for Truth.

I didn't think 10 year olds were into fish

god this is all getting a bit nasty...why don't we just get back to the main point of things...i swear the guy asked about bettas and goldfish...
really the answer is no, goldfish are too boystrous and do even go for smaller firsh at times...so putting a little fighter in with them, who swims very slow compared to the comets, would be signing his death warrant.

your betta is happiest on his own

and as for the tank sizes...yes your comets do need a bigger tank, so you might want to think about temporarily rehoming either one or both until you get your 'paycheque' so you can happily house your fish

god this is all getting a bit nasty...why don't we just get back to the main point of things...i swear the guy asked about bettas and goldfish...
really the answer is no, goldfish are too boystrous and do even go for smaller firsh at times...so putting a little fighter in with them, who swims very slow compared to the comets, would be signing his death warrant.

your betta is happiest on his own

and as for the tank sizes...yes your comets do need a bigger tank, so you might want to think about temporarily rehoming either one or both until you get your 'paycheque' so you can happily house your fish

agreed

Do you know last week a man brought us 4 goldfish that had survived in a baby biorb!
Scandalous I know and how?
we swapped them for 5 minnows and said leave it at that. goldfish comets shubunkin are all kept in our pond section where they belong as they are pond fish and unsuitable for small aquariums.
Also one of my favourite customers who writes on betta.org would be so so unhappy to read this post- I dont think I ever heard of two more incompatable fish in such an unsuitable tank. Sorry.

Do you know last week a man brought us 4 goldfish that had survived in a baby biorb!
Scandalous I know and how?
we swapped them for 5 minnows and said leave it at that. goldfish comets shubunkin are all kept in our pond section where they belong as they are pond fish and unsuitable for small aquariums.
Also one of my favourite customers who writes on betta.org would be so so unhappy to read this post- I dont think I ever heard of two more incompatable fish in such an unsuitable tank. Sorry.

my sister used to keep two fantails in a 1 gallon bowl!

I rescued them though

ah, they are comets. tbh, although they are heavily cramped, its not as bad as i thought it was becuase i thought they were fancy.

What the hell are you tripping on...comet goldfish get even larger than fancy varieties. I strongly suggest you do some research before spouting off your opinion as fact when you're trying to help people.

I clearly have done research if i am prepared to make such a statement

Comets can live in smaller amounts of water WHEN THEY ARE THE SAME SIZE AS FANCY

this is becuase their swim bladders are not screwed up from years of imbreeding

i suggest you do YOUR research before criticising others
Well i talked to he lady at the pet store and she said that is they get to big for me to hand she said she would take them and keep them.i also got a new female betta named sugar. Also 2 platties

ah, they are comets. tbh, although they are heavily cramped, its not as bad as i thought it was becuase i thought they were fancy.

What the hell are you tripping on...comet goldfish get even larger than fancy varieties. I strongly suggest you do some research before spouting off your opinion as fact when you're trying to help people.

Comets can live in smaller amounts of water WHEN THEY ARE THE SAME SIZE AS FANCY

Well i talked to he lady at the pet store and she said that is they get to big for me to hand she said she would take them and keep them.i also got a new female betta named sugar. Also 2 platties
WEll to see one video of my fish go to my website at www.tropicaladventure.piczo.com

WEll to see one video of my fish go to my website at www.tropicaladventure.piczo.com

....those Goldfish arent even comets

they are fantails

thus meaning it would be an even more obscenely stupid idea to put the betta with them

they are fantails

thus meaning it would be an even more obscenely stupid idea to put the betta with them
the people at the pet stire said they were comets because they were with the adult
they are just babys

they are fantails

the people at the pet stire said they were comets because they were with the adult
they are just babys

okay i think these are magical ones cus they turn from ornadas to comets in time...

they are not comets....

btw i dont think its a great idea keeping a betta with load of long tailed thins as they are particulaly aggressive to them

on the other hand, if you havent had any problems yet it may be okay

they are fantails

they are just babys

okay i think these are magical ones cus they turn from ornadas to comets in time...

they are not comets....

btw i dont think its a great idea keeping a betta with load of long tailed thins as they are particulaly aggressive to them

on the other hand, if you havent had any problems yet it may be okay
well i started to notice that there were some rips on my guppies and white clouds tails
also please help me on my other topic call baby fish appear

its in livebearers

Most reactions

Back