Betta Fish And Goldfish?

In that case I would seriously think about re-homing them.
If you are determined to keep them there are several pinned topics in the coldwater section about what goldfish need.
Keeping goldfish, which are very boisterous, active and messy fish, in a small tank is cruel. They survive conditions which would kill off many other fish pretty quickly, but this doesn't make it okay.
Sorry if this comes across as harsh, just trying to do your fish a favour.
Best wishes

It would be better if you didn't start identical threads in different parts of the forum, gets confusing. I will repeat what I said in your other thread:

a betta would be likely to find it very stressful to share a small tank with such boisterous active and fast-growing fish as goldfish. It would be difficult to keep the tank clean enough as goldfish poo a lot. Goldfish are tough and would probably survive, though it's hardly an ideal life for them. I think the betta would be likely to succumb from stress.
okay! Well right know my betta is with 19 other fish in my ten gallon and my 2 comet golfish are in the 7-8 gallon.

ah, they are comets. tbh, although they are heavily cramped, its not as bad as i thought it was becuase i thought they were fancy.

but dont get me wrong, they need a bigger tank

ah, they are comets. tbh, although they are heavily cramped, its not as bad as i thought it was becuase i thought they were fancy.

What the hell are you tripping on...comet goldfish get even larger than fancy varieties. I strongly suggest you do some research before spouting off your opinion as fact when you're trying to help people.

snooks is right, comets get huge, bigger than fancies, and are best suited to ponds. To keep two comets healthy and happy for their entire lives would require a very big tank.

What the hell are you tripping on...comet goldfish get even larger than fancy varieties. I strongly suggest you do some research before spouting off your opinion as fact when you're trying to help people.

I clearly have done research if i am prepared to make such a statement

Comets can live in smaller amounts of water WHEN THEY ARE THE SAME SIZE AS FANCY

this is becuase their swim bladders are not screwed up from years of imbreeding

i suggest you do YOUR research before criticising others

Comets can live in smaller amounts of water WHEN THEY ARE THE SAME SIZE AS FANCY

this is becuase their swim bladders are not screwed up from years of imbreeding

Cite your sources for this please.

comets are fast swimmers and need more swimming space than some fancies.

It may be true that a comet the same length as a fancy might have a lower bioload (as they are slim-bodied) but bio-load is only one thing to consider when stocking.

Also, it may be true that comets are hardier than fancies, but all fish suffer from poor water quality and cramped conditions to some degree. There may be a greater chance of a comet surviving such conditions, but that's hardly good fishkeeping.

It may be true that a comet the same length as a fancy might...

The essential problem with the statement made earlier is that commons/comets will not stay the same size as a fancy goldfish for long. True, a 1 inch common and a 1 inch fancy goldfish would theoretically require the same volume of water... but the common has the potential to grow over 12-14" long. Fancies rarely grow past 8" long (excluding tail). Therefore their requirements are not the same.

The essential problem with the statement made earlier is that commons/comets will not stay the same size as a fancy goldfish for long. True, a 1 inch common and a 1 inch fancy goldfish would theoretically require the same volume of water... but the common has the potential to grow over 12-14" long. Fancies rarely grow past 8" long (excluding tail). Therefore their requirements are not the same.

Sorry, I agree with you totally. My post may not have been totally clear, I was referring to the bit where AngeloFDeath said:

I was actually disagreeing with even this bit. Even when they are the same size (which as aquila points out won't be for long) I think comets/commons need more space due to their activity levels.

though actually, re-reading your post, maybe you were referring to the same bit. Either way, we're on the same page

Sorry, I agree with you totally. My post may not have been totally clear, I was referring to the bit where AngeloFDeath said:

I was actually disagreeing with even this bit. Even when they are the same size (which as aquila points out won't be for long) I think comets/commons need more space due to their activity levels.

though actually, re-reading your post, maybe you were referring to the same bit. Either way, we're on the same page

Why are people disagreeing with the fact that coments can be kept in smaller tanks than fancies

its clear that they can

thier immune systems are stronger, and they have better swim bladders

frankly i cant be bothered finding my sources as I have A levels to pass, (and yes, they do exist) but i know i am right in theory

HOWEVER, the fact that comets do grow large means they they should not be kept in small tanks FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME

AngelOfDeath
View Member Profile
Add as Friend
Send Message
Find Member's Topics
Find Member's Posts

post Today, 04:25 PM
Post #27

Just Plain Crazy

Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 38299

Edited for Truth.

Why are people disagreeing with the fact that coments can be kept in smaller tanks than fancies

its clear that they can

thier immune systems are stronger, and they have better swim bladders

frankly i cant be bothered finding my sources as I have A levels to pass, (and yes, they do exist) but i know i am right in theory

HOWEVER, the fact that comets do grow large means they they should not be kept in small tanks FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME

I'll repeat what I said above:
Also, it may be true that comets are hardier than fancies, but all fish suffer from poor water quality and cramped conditions to some degree. There may be a greater chance of a comet surviving such conditions, but that's hardly good fishkeeping.

People here are interested in fish thriving, not barely surviving.

I don't like to see single tailed goldfish in cramped tank because you never saw them stay still. And single tailed and fancy goldfish are way different fish in different things, even if they are same species.

Again IF I want a 30gal tank for goldfish only, ill stick with fancy goldfish than single tailed ones as fancy goldfish are poor swimmer and don't make a good roommates in pond outside.

Notice the name of person that you guys argued with? AngelOfDeath may means nothing to you guys but it really meant to the fishes....

Most reactions

Back