betta aquariums

The topfin ones come with a filter. A small heater is pretty cheap. You can buy a 5 gallon kit with a heater and filter at Walmart for $30
thanks- i am checking that out. one left- i hope they ship because the store that features it is out of state.

I've seen it at multiple stores. Check around you may find one closer
thanks- i am checking that out. one left- i hope they ship because the store that features it is out of state.

The topfin ones come with a filter. A small heater is pretty cheap. You can buy a 5 gallon kit with a heater and filter at Walmart for $30
no delivery available for the walmart tank. anyone familiar with the brand Koller?

Bigger is always better.

What is the absolute largest tank you will consider?

Dont go smaller than 2.5g, but if you can fit larger and can afford it, you will also enjoy a bit larger. It is true--the smaller tanks are a lot more work to keep stable and require more diligence with keeping up on them.

What size you go for will decide what heater or filter you need.

In both my betta tanks, i run an Aqueon Mini Heater 10w. Its preset but it keeps their tanks a comfy betta temp at 79-80F.
Theyre small and easy to hide behind plants, rocks, etc. BUT always unplug these ones when doing water changes. They automatically shut off if exposed to air and wont turn back on.

As for filters, my 3.5g came with a filter. Its a very gentle filter, but i still shove filter sponge through the exit anyways. Both slows the water flow (i use floating plants) and adds more biological filtration. I chucked the little cartridges that came with the filter. Cut up filter sponge fit into slots works way better. I also use a bit of Fluval Clearmax in it too because i unfortunately have nitrates already in my tap water.

My 2.5g i made the filter using a small bottle... drilled a few holes in the bottom and a few in the top. Added 1 larger hole in the side near the top and inserted an airline. Inside the bottle is filter sponge and ceramic media. Its gentle and does the job.

Smaller tanks require more drastic water changes. I do 90% weekly on my betta tanks plus about 30% daily. Check your parameters frequently. Nitrate absorbing fast plants are heavily recommended. Hornwort, anacharis, and floating plants especially all are excellent. The first two can be floated or anchored/planted (hornwort needs to be anchored or floated, it wont do well planted. I anchor mine down with suction cups)

As for keeping a betta from being bored, changing up their tank often helps that with smaller tanks, as does adding leaf litter (indian almond leaves are your safest bet). This goes for any tank size for a betta though.

Filters...
This is the setup for my girl, its blackwater so its stained with tannins from the leaves and driftwood. The wood is still new so its going through that awful fuzzy stage lol
20200507_160521.jpg

The filter for it:
20200420_104700.jpg
IMG_20200420_103400filter.jpg

And parameters for this tank: this is ideal for small set ups to aim for. No ammonia, no nitrites, and keep nitrates below 20, better even under 10.
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1587573099155.jpeg

And my male set up, his is the tallest one. The two jars are snail jars. (I raise ramshorns)
20200509_090415.jpg

His filter on the inside, so you get an idea of the sponge i mentioned...

20200510_181731.jpg

A small set up isnt always ideal, but its not necessarily cruel or terrible. Bigger is always better. Depends on the work you are willing to put into the tanks. I could afford to miss a water change on my 46 gallon for example. My betta tanks would not be so forgiving at all!

I agree that there is a lot of debate around betta tank size. My personal opinion is that you should look into at least 5 gallons. Other than that, if you don't you will need to take more care of the tank than you would otherwise or your fish's health may suffer. Bettas insist on survival but that does not mean they're healthy. If you do get a tank smaller than 5g, please do some good research on how best to handle it.

Back to your initial question though, walmart does have a <$30 startup kit tank here: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-5-Gallon-Fish-Tank-LED-Aquarium-Starter-Kit/20693704
It was recommended to me by others on this site, and I would have gotten it if I hadn't opted for a 10 gallon. Plus, it's a little cheaper than buying the parts individually. I wish you good luck!
I have several of my bettas in the Walmart 5G. I just replace the filter with a cheap sponge filter for about $5 plus $8 air pump.

Bigger is always better.

What is the absolute largest tank you will consider?

Dont go smaller than 2.5g, but if you can fit larger and can afford it, you will also enjoy a bit larger. It is true--the smaller tanks are a lot more work to keep stable and require more diligence with keeping up on them.

What size you go for will decide what heater or filter you need.

In both my betta tanks, i run an Aqueon Mini Heater 10w. Its preset but it keeps their tanks a comfy betta temp at 79-80F.
Theyre small and easy to hide behind plants, rocks, etc. BUT always unplug these ones when doing water changes. They automatically shut off if exposed to air and wont turn back on.

As for filters, my 3.5g came with a filter. Its a very gentle filter, but i still shove filter sponge through the exit anyways. Both slows the water flow (i use floating plants) and adds more biological filtration. I chucked the little cartridges that came with the filter. Cut up filter sponge fit into slots works way better. I also use a bit of Fluval Clearmax in it too because i unfortunately have nitrates already in my tap water.

My 2.5g i made the filter using a small bottle... drilled a few holes in the bottom and a few in the top. Added 1 larger hole in the side near the top and inserted an airline. Inside the bottle is filter sponge and ceramic media. Its gentle and does the job.

Smaller tanks require more drastic water changes. I do 90% weekly on my betta tanks plus about 30% daily. Check your parameters frequently. Nitrate absorbing fast plants are heavily recommended. Hornwort, anacharis, and floating plants especially all are excellent. The first two can be floated or anchored/planted (hornwort needs to be anchored or floated, it wont do well planted. I anchor mine down with suction cups)

As for keeping a betta from being bored, changing up their tank often helps that with smaller tanks, as does adding leaf litter (indian almond leaves are your safest bet). This goes for any tank size for a betta though.

Filters...
This is the setup for my girl, its blackwater so its stained with tannins from the leaves and driftwood. The wood is still new so its going through that awful fuzzy stage lol
View attachment 103629
The filter for it:
View attachment 103631View attachment 103633

And parameters for this tank: this is ideal for small set ups to aim for. No ammonia, no nitrites, and keep nitrates below 20, better even under 10.
View attachment 103634

And my male set up, his is the tallest one. The two jars are snail jars. (I raise ramshorns)
View attachment 103632

His filter on the inside, so you get an idea of the sponge i mentioned...

View attachment 103630

A small set up isnt always ideal, but its not necessarily cruel or terrible. Bigger is always better. Depends on the work you are willing to put into the tanks. I could afford to miss a water change on my 46 gallon for example. My betta tanks would not be so forgiving at all!

thank you for the info and pictures.
i just ordered a 6.5 gallon tank and a PennPlax heater. walmart to deliver tuesday. my husband will not be happy. our house looks more like a pet store already. i still have to buy gravel and the fish.
i should have orders gravel right away. now it will be shipping cost. wasn’t thinking.
wish me luck ;)

Good luck! Its ok, my neighbors told me our house is a zoo
thank you for the info and pictures.
i just ordered a 6.5 gallon tank and a PennPlax heater. walmart to deliver tuesday. my husband will not be happy. our house looks more like a pet store already. i still have to buy gravel and the fish.
i should have orders gravel right away. now it will be shipping cost. wasn’t thinking.
wish me luck ;)

In a weak filter or a sponge filter, it wont do anything.

But ive had some get in my HOB in my larger tanks, except these are stronger filters a betta wouldnt like.

My bettas have been fine with the sand but im sure some out there have been off with it.

You could do pea stone too if youd rather that. Up to you. I personally find sand easier to clean than gravel because with gravel everything ends up stuck under it, where with sand it rests on top and its easier to vacuum off.

In a weak filter or a sponge filter, it wont do anything.

But ive had some get in my HOB in my larger tanks, except these are stronger filters a betta wouldnt like.

My bettas have been fine with the sand but im sure some out there have been off with it.

You could do pea stone too if youd rather that. Up to you. I personally find sand easier to clean than gravel because with gravel everything ends up stuck under it, where with sand it rests on top and its easier to vacuum off.
i guess it’s personal choice. you are certainly savvy with your tanks. it would be my luck to mess up with sand. lol. so i’ll go for bigger pieces. thanks for your reply

Most reactions

Back