betta aquariums

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi- i have been looking for betta aquariums. specifically 2-3 gallon size. both Amazon and Petco have aquarium kits. the customer reviews speak of the set ups as having filters that are too strong for bettas. i don’t want another big tank- i have 4 which is enough for me. does anyone recommend a betta aquarium?

2 or 3 gallon tanks is too small for a betta im affraid :( 5 gallon is the absolute minimum they should go in however 10 gallons would be more ideal

Theres a few topfin ones that have a very gentle filter with them. I have the 3.5 gal topfin enchant model for my betta boy and its a very very gentle filter. Shove a coarse sponge in the outlet hole and it really slows it even more if your particular betta has an issue with it still.

2.5 gal is the absolute minimum with diligent water changes and filtration. Plants are a definite need as well.

My betta girl is in a 2.5g but with a DIY mini filter...

Im not going to debate betta tank sizes. There are many opinions and resources on the net specifying all sorts of sizes. Its up to OP to decide on what they agree with.

OP asked a question and I gave them an answer to what they were asking about.

I agree that there is a lot of debate around betta tank size. My personal opinion is that you should look into at least 5 gallons. Other than that, if you don't you will need to take more care of the tank than you would otherwise or your fish's health may suffer. Bettas insist on survival but that does not mean they're healthy. If you do get a tank smaller than 5g, please do some good research on how best to handle it.

Back to your initial question though, walmart does have a <$30 startup kit tank here: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-5-Gallon-Fish-Tank-LED-Aquarium-Starter-Kit/20693704
It was recommended to me by others on this site, and I would have gotten it if I hadn't opted for a 10 gallon. Plus, it's a little cheaper than buying the parts individually. I wish you good luck!

I personally don't see any point trying to keep fish in tanks that hold less water than a bucket. Look for a 10-20 gallon tank and get that instead. It won't cost much more but has more space if the Betta dies and you want to use the tank for something else.

I think 5 gallons is good but prefer 10 gallons so the fish has more room to swim. The smaller tanks look nice but seems like living in a closet for the fish. That said, the smaller tanks are better than the cups they keep them in at the pet store so it is still an improvement for the fish.

Go for a 5- 10 gallon. Big enough to do something with but dosent take up a lot of room. I have 3.5 and wish it was bigger. Water gets polluted quickly and seems too small for him

I think 5 gallons is good but prefer 10 gallons so the fish has more room to swim. The smaller tanks look nice but seems like living in a closet for the fish. That said, the smaller tanks are better than the cups they keep them in at the pet store so it is still an improvement for the fish.
i agree but when you look on amazon, some of the containers they sell aren’t much better :( they still are selling the very small
plastic shallow turtle”lagoons “- you know with the plastic palm tree?

I agree that there is a lot of debate around betta tank size. My personal opinion is that you should look into at least 5 gallons. Other than that, if you don't you will need to take more care of the tank than you would otherwise or your fish's health may suffer. Bettas insist on survival but that does not mean they're healthy. If you do get a tank smaller than 5g, please do some good research on how best to handle it.

Back to your initial question though, walmart does have a <$30 startup kit tank here: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-5-Gallon-Fish-Tank-LED-Aquarium-Starter-Kit/20693704
It was recommended to me by others on this site, and I would have gotten it if I hadn't opted for a 10 gallon. Plus, it's a little cheaper than buying the parts individually. I wish you good luck!
thank you i will check it out. in my bird keeping i see so many wrong things said about bird health etc, so i’m beginning to understand the betta care better. what happens to those poor bettas at Petco? you would think PETA would address that.

Theres a few topfin ones that have a very gentle filter with them. I have the 3.5 gal topfin enchant model for my betta boy and its a very very gentle filter. Shove a coarse sponge in the outlet hole and it really slows it even more if your particular betta has an issue with it still.

2.5 gal is the absolute minimum with diligent water changes and filtration. Plants are a definite need as well.

My betta girl is in a 2.5g but with a DIY mini filter...
thanks - what filter do you use? heater?

The topfin ones come with a filter. A small heater is pretty cheap. You can buy a 5 gallon kit with a heater and filter at Walmart for $30

Most reactions

Back