Best Way To Get Rid Of Snails?

-FighterFishh

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've just found two snails in my tank, and I KNOW there must be more. What's the best way to get rid of these little pests?!
Thank you for any suggestions! :lol:

Squish them!(I'm Evil i know)

But apparently if you put a piece of lettuce in the tank on the evening, and if you lift it out in the morning, they should all be on the lettuce. Its worth a try!

Whenever I see a pesky snail in my tank I just take them out and hope to gradually reduce their numbers. Time will tell lol.

I am too frightened to use any liquid stuff so I don't have any experience. You could always get some clown loach, but that depends on tank size

DF

i keep 'em. i don't really mind them eating my plants, which they don't tend to do anyway. they eat algae, which i also like.

You could get an assassin snail, these eat other snails but not plants. They actually look quite nice too.

381.jpg

Just got my batch of assassin snails on Friday, and they're already going to work. I can't find most of them now, but each morning there are fewer pond snails.

Before they arrived I was squishing the smaller ones which the fish thought was a wonderful treat!

Squish them!(I'm Evil i know)

But apparently if you put a piece of lettuce in the tank on the evening, and if you lift it out in the morning, they should all be on the lettuce. Its worth a try!

:lol: I did squish one when I didn't know what it was. It made me feel all strange afterwards! The sound got on my nerves! But, I have heard of the lettuce trick, and my mum said we could do that, so I think that's the first 'cure' on my list! :D

Whenever I see a pesky snail in my tank I just take them out and hope to gradually reduce their numbers. Time will tell lol.

I am too frightened to use any liquid stuff so I don't have any experience. You could always get some clown loach, but that depends on tank size

DF

I have a 64L tank. I do quite like clown loach but they'd grow far too big for my tank, so I wouldn't want to get a couple just to get them rehomed when they get too big.

i keep 'em. i don't really mind them eating my plants, which they don't tend to do anyway. they eat algae, which i also like.

I've noticed a couple of holes in a couple of my plants recently, which I was suspicious about but had never seen any snails to know what had done it. But, of course, now I know that they're probably the culprits! :lol:

You could get an assassin snail, these eat other snails but not plants. They actually look quite nice too.

381.jpg

I would think of that, but snails are just a bit too weird for me :lol: But if the worst comes to the worst, they aren't ugly and I could probably pick a couple of them up from my LFS! :lol:

Just got my batch of assassin snails on Friday, and they're already going to work. I can't find most of them now, but each morning there are fewer pond snails.

Before they arrived I was squishing the smaller ones which the fish thought was a wonderful treat!

They do sound good, but snails are a little weird! :lol:
I'll see if the lettuce/cucumber works, and if not I'm sure I could pick a couple of assassin snails up from my LFS :good:

I leave them in, they do a good job helping me clean my tanks

I don't mind some in there (especially the rams horns) but they were getting a bit out of hand. I tend to overfeed a bit when there are fry in the tanks, and that's what led to the population explosion!
laugh.gif

I leave them in, they do a good job helping me clean my tanks

I don't mind some in there (especially the rams horns) but they were getting a bit out of hand. I tend to overfeed a bit when there are fry in the tanks, and that's what led to the population explosion!
laugh.gif

:lol:
I feed each fish one or two flakes a day, and watch them eat them, so there shouldn't be any food waste.
The snails in my tank are tiiiny, and they have clear shells. What are they?

Either puffer fish :lol: or assassin snails are your way forth. Either will kill off the little shelled pests.

Ahaa, I do love the puffer fish, but I think they'd need a much more suitable owner than me! :lol:
Speaking of puffers, I 'met' a huge one in a LFS, really friendly, poor little thing didn't have any friends in the tank with him, though :(

I had an infestation of malaysian trumpet snails which I got from a piece of bogwood I bought, I put 2 zebra botia's in the tank and I have not seen a snail since, its fun watching the loach pick the snail up and crush it!!!!!!!

Everybody loves to watch snails suffer a painful death :shifty:

Most reactions

Back