Best Way Of Treating Suspected Whitespot

kevinjames

Fishaholic
Reaction score
after introducing what i thought was a perfectly healthy fish to my main aquarium on friday tonight ive noticed one of my fish has developed whitespots all over his fins. none of the other fish seem to be having a problem yet but im expecting it to develop further. so how do i go about treating this before it gets silly. i treated before but in a lot smaller tank and im aware that the volume of this tank will mean ill need a lot of whitespot treatment. so which is the best one to use for both quality and value? also my aquarium runs at 26oC so shall i up the temp straight away or leave it till the problem gets bigger?

after introducing what i thought was a perfectly healthy fish to my main aquarium on friday tonight ive noticed one of my fish has developed whitespots all over his fins. none of the other fish seem to be having a problem yet but im expecting it to develop further. so how do i go about treating this before it gets silly. i treated before but in a lot smaller tank and im aware that the volume of this tank will mean ill need a lot of whitespot treatment. so which is the best one to use for both quality and value? also my aquarium runs at 26oC so shall i up the temp straight away or leave it till the problem gets bigger?

Use esha exit, you can dose this at a lower dose if you're not sure if they have it. As for the temp raise the temp and add some air stones as there will be less oxygen as the water gets hotter.

Edit: oh and if its just the one fish stick it in a poly box or somethign with a heater and small filter and treat it by itself.

Use esha exit, you can dose this at a lower dose if you're not sure if they have it. As for the temp raise the temp and add some air stones as there will be less oxygen as the water gets hotter.

Edit: oh and if its just the one fish stick it in a poly box or somethign with a heater and small filter and treat it by itself.

its just on fish for now but moving that would be impossible as its a fully grown severum. im still confused as to where the whitespot has come from as the only fish ive added was a l200 plec and it had no signs of illness. also it came from a good fish keeper not a shop and i didnt mix any of the water either. think ill up temp a bit and see how it goes for now. what temp should i up it to?

its just on fish for now but moving that would be impossible as its a fully grown severum. im still confused as to where the whitespot has come from as the only fish ive added was a l200 plec and it had no signs of illness. also it came from a good fish keeper not a shop and i didnt mix any of the water either. think ill up temp a bit and see how it goes for now. what temp should i up it to?
I've got 2 sev's that around 6inch they've unfortuantly spent time in a large poly box to get over fungus, I've had my sev's up to 30oC for a few days before bringing it back down(esha exit only needs 3 days treatment)

The best way to treat it? Water changes. You can also increase the temp slowly a couple of degrees.

Well a couple more fish have a bit of whitespot Sp looks like I'm going to have to go buy a few bottles of treatment as its 50ml a dose. Last time I.treated a bad case for about a week. I treated a couple of days longer last time as it was severe as I was on my hols when the whitespot broke out. How long do u think I should dose for this time?

You can try higher temps and some aquarium salt but it did not work for me. If I were you I would raise the temperature to 30 C, increase aeration and then dose the whole tank with a malachite green/formalin medication, and do so for at least a week to 10 days. The protazoa has 3 life stages and if you don't have the medication in there through all three you risk reappearance. See my signature for an article on treating Ich.

You can try higher temps and some aquarium salt but it did not work for me. If I were you I would raise the temperature to 30 C, increase aeration and then dose the whole tank with a malachite green/formalin medication, and do so for at least a week to 10 days. The protazoa has 3 life stages and if you don't have the medication in there through all three you risk reappearance. See my signature for an article on treating Ich.

yes thats what i plan on doing but it just means im going to need 4 bottles of medication, good job i can get a couple of bottles from cash and carry cheaper than a shop. so my plan is a large water change (which im doing now) followed by 8 days of treatement then another large water change and hopefully no more whitespot!!!! im just annoyed that i got it really. the new fish i introduced came from a guy who was a fanatic and had 3 large tanks in his front room and all of them were absolutely stunning and spotless. i didnt mix the water and the fish had no signs of whitespot!!! i dont know sometimes things just happen for no reason in this hobby! thanks for all the guidance in this thread aswell

If you`re going to up the temperature, do it slowly over a day or 2 and increase the movement at the surface of the water. Oxygen will deplete as the water gets warmer so as much aeration as you can get will be good :good:

Most reactions

Back