Best Substrate For Planted Tank?

lol, I changed to aquatic soil a couple of weeks ago. :p

I didn't have enough cactus compost so I made the switch. No other reason though.

Sounds like you're off to a great start. :good: You got that book yet mate?

THanks,
Chris

As i posted at the start, AquaSoil is great as long as u dont mind demolishing and rebuilding ur tank every 12 months.
I thought this was the case but I know hear from Jeff Senke that Oliver Knott (German aquascaping guru) has run Aqua Soil for 5 years in one tank with no problem. I would still be tempted to change any substrate after 12-18 moths though, in a high-growth tank anyway.

started my cycle the other day so hopefully i can get my tank runnining asap.

for some reason amazon isn't accepting my debit card so i'll need to find the book elsewhere

for some reason amazon isn't accepting my debit card so i'll need to find the book elsewhere

Any more news?

I just saw -=Joel=-'s thread about cactus compost so I had a search round and found your's.

I'm interested in how it works out.

Any more news?

I just saw -=Joel=-'s thread about cactus compost so I had a search round and found your's.

I'm interested in how it works out.

hi sorry im actually on holz in florida just now so i wont know much for another week and a bit, ill update then though!

on another note does anyone know any decent aquatic stores on the east coast of florida?? :hey: :drool:

Ive been told that John Innes no2 compost is really good for aquarium substrates, ive not tried it myself but its in most garden centers and its only cheap! :good:

good thread. lotsa good info here.

i just scored myself a ~30g tank off ebay and am wanting to start a nice planted tank.

the substrate is rather expensive innit! also seems to be quite hard to find here in Melbourne.

boo.

thanks for all the info everyone!

:D

I am also looking for a substrate the person at Aquaessentials has recommended Ferka Aquabase.

see below for Information at 11.99 for a 250g bag this is not bad or £36 if you have many nutrient hungry species such as Cryptocoryne or Echinodorus

Aquabase is a natural material, which is ideal for setting up a planted aquarium. It builds up the excellent nutritional environment for your tank substrate, and makes it easy for aquatic plants to adapt themselves when they were initially transplanted. In additional, its gradual decomposition will maintain the ideal condition for a long lasting period (the application of Aquabase along with other Ferka products will provide the substrate with a long term nutrition richness).

Aquabase material is 95-97% natural. It holds a slightly acid condition between 6.7 – 6.9 pH, concerning with the water quality. Aquabase supports and also stimulates bacterial colonizing, which takes an important role in the ecology system of planted aquarium. Therefore, it will suppress the appearance of blanket weed that usually occurs in the initial setting up stage.

Dosage and Direction:

Mix Aquabase with 50% of the total gravel you use (the gravel should be moisten to reduce the diffusion of Aquabase powder), and then cover up with another half of well washed gravel and gently fill up the water to avoid scattering the substrate. 2 days after the planting, do 50% water change, and after a week, do another 30%. The 250g bag is sufficient to treat a 200 litres capacity tank. If there are many nutrient hungry species such as Cryptocoryne or Echinodorus, the usage rate could be increased to 750g per tank.

thanks for the replies... still on my holz but will be back by monday/tuesday and i'll update you all on the catus compost situation!

... im hoping it'll be working fine! if not i might invest in some plant substrate....maybe

thanks for the replies... still on my holz but will be back by monday/tuesday and i'll update you all on the catus compost situation!

... im hoping it'll be working fine! if not i might invest in some plant substrate....maybe

Well?

:D

Just to say ....

Have done an experiment regarding cactus and pond substrate. The cactus soil deffinatly worked wonders on my swords (thats the only plant tested) The pond substrate is working but more slowly.

I think in my main tank Im going to do a mix of the both as the pond stuff is more dense and deffinatly cheaper.

Joel

ye the cactus comp is pretty good:my cabomba grows so quickly, even my anubias nana is growing kinda fast.

one problem though is that you really need to go through the compost when you first get it and remove any lighter material. I never did this and when i am vacuuming the gravel i sometimes get large bits of compost floating about. This is pretty easy to remove as you just grab it, but kinda annoying all the same.

But to be honest for £10 (compost and gravel from homebase or B&Q) I got a perfectly good substrate to cover my 4ft (48"x12") tank 3"-4" thick! --- i would say that's not bad as I set out to do it cheaply!

Most reactions

Back