Best Substrate For Planted Tank?

Hi

I personally wouldn't use Flouite again and would advise others to steer clear of it. I'm using ADA Aquasoil at the mo, and will use this again from the experience I've had so far with it. Something else you might try is Deponit by Dennerle-it has clay and peat in it, and so is ideal for providing a first flush of nutrients plus longer term nutrient storage capacity because of the clay. It may also be more in your price bracket. Tetra Aquatic compost might be a similar thing to Deponit-sounds like a first class recommendation too.

What I would say to you is ensure whatever you use, you get enought for a really generous, thick substrate bed, even if it means saving that little bit longer-you really will feel the benefit in the long run!

Good luck with it.

Nick

i looked up Deponit and there are two that i can see: http://www.aquaticbiotope.co.uk/Scripts/pr...p?idCategory=60

what one is the one you have? the fertiliser substrate or the other one?

yhanks alot

As a side note, if you do go down the el-natural route, I've just bought myself a 25ltr bag of Aquatic Soil (for ponds) for £7.95 and that's about twice as much as I need for my 100 ltr tank. Then a 1" covering of gravel over that and your sorted. :D

Thanks,
Chris

i am thinking about splashing the cash on a one off on substrate. No more than £50 to spend. ...but there are so many to choose from. I'm thinking about eco-complete

is it worth the extra one off payment? does it benefit in the long-run?

thanks for all your help as it's extremely helpful to me, keep it coming

i used Tetra Aquatic compost

i thought this was for ponds??

There are two types, one is for ponds and the other aquariums. The one for aquariums is in a yellow tub/bucket.

Worked a treat like i have already said, only problem was that in my gravel area it did migrate to the top, this was not a problem when it was below sand!

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/Z477189.asp

I would certainly vote for ADA aqua soil amazonia.
Aquaessentials sells it in the UK.
Should be cheaper in general than EC or the flourite.
1 x 9 liter bag = two of the EC or F bags.
There is no rinsing and it has more nutrients than either of the other two.

Regards,
Tom Barr

sorry for the side note, but will eco complete age and not perform as "noticeably" well after maybe a year or two?

I would certainly vote for ADA aqua soil amazonia.
Aquaessentials sells it in the UK.
Should be cheaper in general than EC or the flourite.
1 x 9 liter bag = two of the EC or F bags.
There is no rinsing and it has more nutrients than either of the other two.

Regards,
Tom Barr

I would probably use aqua soil if it was cheaper, but to fill 3" of my tank with it it would cost 3x9litre bag= £75+!! so unless someone knows where i can get this cheaper then i can't afford it.

thanks anyways

AE is the only place in the UK that sell ADA stuff and is therefore the cheapest you will find.

As i posted at the start, AquaSoil is great as long as u dont mind demolishing and rebuilding ur tank every 12 months. It is certainly the most expensive option as well considering Laterite and gravel will cost 1/4 of the price.

Chris

im not sure about the demolishing every 12 months lol! i'm still deciding on my substrate after 2 weeks...and i'm trying to stay patient!

has anyone used laterite plus gravel before? is it good for highly planted tanks?

sorry about all the questions, i am rather new to this game...if you havent already guessed! ... just looking for a substrate that's good and worth it's money.

i thought all substrates break down after a while..i think the eco-complete is good for about a year..at least i think i read that somewhere..i think all substrate with good stuff in it for the plants eventually gets used up by the plants..

Hi,
I would seriously consider waiting for and reading that book you ordered before purchasing anything. The more you post, the more I think a low maintenance low tech tank is perfectly suited to you. :)

Thanks,
Chris

Hi,
I would seriously consider waiting for and reading that book you ordered before purchasing anything. The more you post, the more I think a low maintenance low tech tank is perfectly suited to you. :)

Thanks,
Chris

:drool: lol i'm thinking the same myself!

one query about it though: can you still grow the same density and aesthetics as you can in a 'normal' planted tank??

cheers :good:

Plant density in a low maintenance tank is going to be high, as the plants are the sole filter. I'm experimenting with my new tank with trying to create a minimalist look but I know already it's going to fail.

Thanks,
Chris

Plant density in a low maintenance tank is going to be high, as the plants are the sole filter. I'm experimenting with my new tank with trying to create a minimalist look but I know already it's going to fail.

Thanks,
Chris

it could be possible :good: lots of moss' etc dwarf riccia looks amazing :drool:

i just thought i'd let you know that i have gone with cactus compost base (4-5 cms) with a dark gravel top (about 2-3cms)

it's looking good but it was only set up on saturday!

chrisC, how have you found the cactus compost? are the plants taking well?

Most reactions

Back