Best food for Cory Cats?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This is a very good selection. As we are talking cories here, the third and fourth are the primary foods, alternating days for variety. The second (Veggie Rounds) can be fed once a week if there are herbivores like whiptails, farlowella, otos, some plecos in the tank, but if not, don't bother. The shrimp and bug bites are both just about the best prepared foods for cories. Upper fish will relish the bug bites too. Afrozen "treat" once a week can offer more vazriety, I use frozen bloodworms and frozen daphnia as their treat a couple hours after the water change. The two prepared foods the rest of the time, and a fast day or two each week won't hurt any fish (except fry of course).
@Byron, I learned from the best! You are my”go to” corie man. :)

@Byron, I learned from the best! You are my”go to” corie man. :)

I can't take all the credit, as I learned this only this year from the Corydoras source, Ian Fuller. Even after 30+ years of keeping fish, I am still learning.

You may not lose your shimp. Just some babies will get eaten but some may make it fine to adulthood. Adult shrimp wont be bothered.

I keep mine with ghost shrimp, small males before when i had those, and females. They forage alongside each other. Adult cherry shrimp would be alright too.

I also keep bamboo shrimp just fine with them too.

An adult male trilineatus with a ghost shrimp.
View attachment 106406
If you have plenty of java moss knocking about, will baby shrimp actively take refuge or do they just go wherever they please?

If you have plenty of java moss knocking about, will baby shrimp actively take refuge or do they just go wherever they please?
Java moss would ensure you have some surviving baby shrimp.

Cories are scavengers and opportunistic hunters, basically they wont actively go after the shrimplets, but instead will eat any they just happen upon.

Most reactions

Back