Best fish to breed in 10 gallon

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Eggers killi is one of the best rachovii sells well too though lyre tails are the easiest

You have a nice fish room. ..
Killifish are very beautiful. .

Btw, I wonder how did you breed the Killifish.
Do you have to soften your water with peats?

is that your fish room
now I cant decide between killifish and red cherry shrimp! I have many months to think about it so it's ok

I heard that Cherry shrimps can breed a lot even though I have not done it before. . .

There was once I looked into a bag of shrimps in the fish store and I saw babies shrimps ....which mean the eggs hatched inside the plastic bag while waiting to be sold... Amazing

Last edited:
Jeez I have ghost shrimp in all my tanks and I haven't bought any in about 4 years. I've moved 3 apartments drained all the tanks moved em and set them up like 1 week later then bam there they were. I wonder if their eggs/breeding are similar to a killifish?

@FallenPepper do you have hard water? I think I heard that they breed pretty well in brackish?

Cherry shrimp are very easy to breed. If you make sure they are healthy when you breed, you could sell them to your LFS like I am going to do today. ;)

(I would say the best size to breed in is a 20 long, but a 10g should work. I breed mine in a 10g and a 29g.)

Lfs will usually only give you credit. It’s expensive to ship fish out. If you want to do if for fun then do and have fun. You won’t make a profit though on a small scale business. I breed goldfish and barely make any profit after supplies and food. I do enjoy it though.

I agree. My LFS gives me in store credit for shrimp and plants. Small business usually won’t give you cash. Which is good if you need to get 5 zebra danios. (Like me. ;))

Killifish can be easy to breed but the adults can make your life miserable. Aphyosemion species males are highly territorial and prone to driving the females to death in their spawning ardor. Killifish can be very hands on or you can go with a heavily planted natural tank set up and scoop out the fry that appear into a rearing tank. Most Killifish fry grow rapidly and the bigger ones eat the smaller ones. Separate them for size frequently. Generally you don't get a lot of fry because they lay so few eggs but they lay them pretty constantly. That is why you have to separate for size. Killie fry grow a lot in only a week or two. You rarely see Killifish in the pet shops so they are an easy sell. Don't expect to make Ferrari payments on your fish income. About all you get is store credit. I like your idea about Paradise Fish. They are not seen often and they are easy to breed. You do it just like Bettas. I hope the Paradise Fish makes a comeback. I like them.

I agree. My LFS gives me in store credit for shrimp and plants. Small business usually won’t give you cash. Which is good if you need to get 5 zebra danios. (Like me. ;))
what is store credit exactly? How does it work?

Most reactions

Back