Best Filters

BethK

Rattie tat tat
Reaction score
Hi All

I was wondering what you guys would recommend as a good filter for your tank?

I am looking for something that would work for a 30ltr - 70ltr tank and have no clue which ones are better to use. I am constantly worried that my smaller fish might get sucked up in filters too :blink:

For a hang on the back power filter, there is none better than Aqua Clear IMO. I have one that is now about 15 years old...still works a charm.

Yep aquaclears are the reigning king of HOB filters, arguably they're the best filter period... relatively cheap, space for biomedia and they last forever. Furthermore they have adjustable flow, and the intake is easy to cover if you're worried about small fishies getting sucked up. The HOB format is nice because although there are lots of awesome sponge filters and internal filters out there, those two types do take up space in the tanks and don't add anything to the aesthetic point of the tank!

I would recommend an AC20 for anything 40L and under while you will want an AC30 for anything 100L and under.

Eheim has a few good lines too, but they are decidedly pricier. I am also very happy with my Fluval Plus line (being replaced by the Fluval U line). I have the 1+, 2+ and the 4+ but again, as internal filters they do take a lot of effort to conceal.

Just whatever you do don't get rooked into any HOB filter (ie Tetra Whispers) where you have to purchase those special carbon filter inserts. They are terrible media and the whole idea is pretty much a money grab for the manufacturers to guarentee you'll pay them $5 a month for filter inserts for the rest of the life of the filter.

Just whatever you do don't get rooked into any HOB filter (ie Tetra Whispers) where you have to purchase those special carbon filter inserts. They are terrible media and the whole idea is pretty much a money grab for the manufacturers to guarentee you'll pay them $5 a month for filter inserts for the rest of the life of the filter.

Sigh, dat'll be me :sad:

only problem is i don't think you can buy aquaclear hob's in the uk, if anyone knows where you can get them in the uk i would be interested.

Most reactions

Back