Berried Cherry Red Shrimp

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi everyone, I am pleased to report that I spotted some baby shrimp this morning! I was starting to worry as the eggs had disappeared and I couldn't spot any! I have counted 5 so far and I'm so excited! Thanks for all your advice! :)

yes.gif
  sooo pleased for you... baby shrimp are amazing !!!  I started with 7 RCS about 6-7 months ago (2 adults and 5 juveniles).  I have since donated about 20 to a good local fish shop, and at my last quick count the other night had about 50 in my tank.

BTW - they love carrots!  Sometimes if there are some leftover from our meal (that haven't been on our plates!!) I will rinse them in cold water and pop a small slice or two into the tank.  Our Danio's leave the carrots alone, but I've seen about 10-15 RCS sharing a small piece of carrot (just over a 5p coin size).

They are so cute! I have them with guppy fry and now I'm thinking of having a dedicated tank for them! Thanks for the carrots tip! I love giving them vegetables and now my boyfriend will be complaining about the carrots missing from the vegetable bag as well as the broccoli, lol!
And I spotted another berried female this morning!

Excellent!

I am a big fan of shrimps and always like to hear of things like this :)

Here is a useful link about most popular species of shrimps, has lots of good information, worth a look through - 

http://www.planetinverts.com/Red%20Cherry%20Shrimp.html

Good luck with the shrimplets, and do post some pics :)

Shrimp!!! you may have about 100+ shrimps in less than a year if you keep the good water conditions up

Oh cool! They are so cute! I'll try to take a few pictures of them. They have a bright colour for being so small, does this mean they could be females? Or are the males harder to spot when they are smaller?
Also, is it normal for my males to think they are superman? They often fly around the tank and sometimes look like they are trying to surf, lol. I heard they do this because they are looking for the ready to breed females?

absta86 said:
Oh cool! They are so cute! I'll try to take a few pictures of them. They have a bright colour for being so small, does this mean they could be females? Or are the males harder to spot when they are smaller?
Also, is it normal for my males to think they are superman? They often fly around the tank and sometimes look like they are trying to surf, lol. I heard they do this because they are looking for the ready to breed females?

Male RCS tend to be smaller than females as well as being almost transparent with a few red markings.

And yes, very much normal for males to hare around the tank when females are ready to breed, they go bonkers all over the tank :lol:

Haha! I love watching them when they do that! Thanks :)

Thought I'd post a few pictures of my shrimp and shrimplets to give you all an update! Thanks for all the advice!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 126
And a couple more :) the small ones are really hard to photograph!

Most reactions

Back