beginnings of possible nitrite poisoning

bc1299

Reaction score
I think I'm in the middle of a fish crisis. My tank's nitrite level is very high, even after a partial water change daily, and today, a 7/8 water change. I have moved my two rosy barbs into a separate jury rigged tank (consisting of a rubbermaid water dispenser and an air hose to keep the water from stagnating) and I put my three rasbora heterotropha tetras and my pleco back in my tank. The tetras, however, are forming small air bubbles on their fins and sides. I was wondering if this could be related to the nitrite level or if I was just looking too hard to see if anything was happening to my fish. I am leaving tomorrow to go away for the weekend and will either be leaving my fish uncared for, or cared for by someone who has no experience dealing with fish. Any suggestions on any of these problems?

bc1299

Few questions:
How long has the tank been established?
Have you added anything to the tank which could kill of bacteria?
Do you treat the water before adding it to the tank?
How big is the tank and how many fish have you got in it?

Sounds like you've got next to no bacteria in there at all although if the nitrites are it must be cycling to a point. 7/8 water change should have helped massively unless it was untreated water (would have killed all cycling bacteria off)??

Sorry for all the questions but may help provide a few answers.

When you were filling the tank, did you change the temperature of the water quickly? For example, you filled 3/4 of the tank and realized it was too cold, so filled the rest with hot water, or vice versa? This will cause the water to become saturated with gases, and you're likely to see air bubbles on the glass, plants, rocks and fish. Best thing to do is to temporarily move the fish into another home and use a powerhead or airstone to agitate the water surface in the affected tank. This will help draw out the gases. The duration is dependant on tank volume, and level of saturation. Hope that helps.

The tank is ten gallons and has been established for about a month and a half now. I have a total of six fish, the above mentioned being all of them. As to the water situation, I have been treating the water as I put it in, not before I put it in. Would that still kill all of the bacteria? Also, the bubbles appear to have disappeared from the fish, and I really have no other tank to keep them in. Should I go out and buy another tank to keep them in over the weekend since my tank now has such a high nitrite level? There will be someone here to take care of the fish, but he has limited experience. Thanks for all the help.

bc1299

Have you cycled your tank? Or did you finish cycling properly.... anyway read the article by AA follow my sig.

I don't believe that I completely cycled my tank in the beginning. Like a fool, I listened to the people at the pet store and they told me that after a week I could add a couple of fish and after two more gradually add a few at a time. I did this and now my nitrite is out of control. I have added cycle and stess zyme and stress coat to the water, and deClor.

bc1299

it takes up to 2 months to cycle!!!!!!!!.... :crazy: so therefore you should either cycle again...or return the fish to the pet store and ask them to hold them for you or something. But it sounds like your tank isn't cycled. You could try cycling with the fish however i think you may lose some then ;)

In my experieance a nitrite spike has teh following symtoms on my fish:
-Breathing at the surface
-Staying by any supply of oxygen
-staying directly in the filters out flow
-sudden, quick and short movements
These are the main things that happens to my fish when I have ahd a nirtite spike... Good luck, with your fish!!
Ron

I've got a 10 gal set up for just over 2 months and its absolute ***** to try and keep levels under control. Added another couple of fish other day and yet again the nitrite levels are creeping up so I'm back to water changes every 1-2 days to keep it under control. If you got another tank to put the fish in you would be back to the same problem you've got now in that it is uncycled.

Your best bet especially if you're going away is take some of the fish back to the shop for a few days until you can get it under control.

When doing water changes I usually fill up a big bucket with cold/warm water, then treat it and leave it for an hour or so (probably over kill). You definately want to be treating it before it goes in the tank though otherwise you'll be losing bacteria. It may be worth seeing if you can get a plant or some gravel from the lfs that will contain the bacteria and jump start the tank again. Live plants may also help to reduce the levels.

Hope this helps but I must admit I've smaller tanks are much harder to keep levels under control than larger ones as there is less water to dilute toxins which can are produced.

Good Luck.

Thanks for all the help. I can't believe how little the people at the pet stores really know. No one ever told me anything about cycling my tank before I put fish in it. I will do my best and hopefully not lose any fish. Thanks again.

bc1299

Most reactions

Back