Before I Take The Plunge...

NightLad

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I have decided to get a Betta for my home office desktop, to invite a bit of ‘life’ into my otherwise computer-oriented job. I did not know what care requirements these animals needed, and because I have never bought a pet without carefully considering its needs to determine if I can provide it with the best possible care, I turned to the internet. That search for information led me here!

After reviewing many threads addressing my various questions (so as not to be repetitive when accurate information is already at hand) I have drawn up a ‘shopping list’ of things to get prior to making my Betta purchase.

If the community would be so kind as to review what I’ve selected, I would be most grateful. If I’ve left anything out, or if anybody has any comments, please speak up! I welcome new information.

To Get:
1x 2.5 gallon tank w/lid that will fit in a space of 12”Lx9”Dx13”H. (Not quite sure of the brand. Suggestions?)
1x Mini-Therm 25W 6” heater
1x Elite Mini Filter*
1x NutraFin Betta Plus Water Conditioner
1x Aquarium Pharmaceuticals pH Test Kit (for fresh water)
1x Food: Betta pellets. Supplement with frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms a couples times per week as treats.
1x Thermometer

* I understand that some Betta’s do not take well to the Filter, so it may need to be discontinued depending on the fish’s reaction. I am also mindful that some people do not feel the filter is necessary, but I'd prefer to give it a shot.

I’ve also collected a few ‘rules of thumb’ to observe:

Rules of thumb:
- Keep water at 80-86F for optimal comfort
- Change water 50% and 100% on 3/7 day cycles. (IE: 50% on Wednesday, 100% on Sunday, repeat.) This would be done observing all water-changing rules, which I’ve collected and printed for quick reference.
- Keep PH at 7.0 (give or take 0.3)
- If filter is retained, clean filter once per month and replace every other month

If what I've written looks good so far, I just have one question:

Where should I buy the Betta? :lol:

I bought my other pets (1.0.0 Ball Python, 0.2.0 Crested Geckos) through private breeders. I am loathed to visit a pet store for an animal purchase. The thing is, I’d really like either a HM, CT or DT Betta. To my knowledge, pet stores don’t usually carry these. I also like knowing that the animal came from somebody who really cared for them.

Can anybody point me towards a good place to get one of these types of Betta in the Toronto, Canada area? I love blue and I've only been able to find a few red on Kijiji.

This is my first post on these forums! I sincerely thank you all for providing this great resource, especially since I have never dealt with aquarium care (even on a small scale :p ).

Looks like your going to be a fine owner. All these kinds can be bought on Aquabid, but that's if your willing to spend 10-30$ per fish. The local pet stores may have them, but I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed. Mine only sells Veiltails and Crowntails.

Looks like your going to be a fine owner. All these kinds can be bought on Aquabid, but that's if your willing to spend 10-30$ per fish. The local pet stores may have them, but I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed. Mine only sells Veiltails and Crowntails.

Thank you so much for your complement! I sure hope I'll be the best care-giver I can be for my Betta.

I noticed Aquabid mentioned on a few other posts, but I was unsure of what to make of it. I know that shipping animals through the mail is not uncommon - Ball Python breeders do it, as do gecko breeders, and even sugar gliders and dogs/cats - but a fish? Are there any risks that could impact the overall health and life-expectancy of the Betta? I'm sure these questions sound utterly noobish, but, I am a noob! I'd be especially worried about shipping an animal from Thailand to Canada in this winter weather. How do these transactions usually turn out? (There are some exceedingly beautiful specimens on Aquabid and it was worth the trip just to look!)

Now that's a good first post :good:

One major thing that I took note of is the water temp. 80-86F is too warm. You want the water to be between 76-82 ideally. A bit colder isn't going to hurt anything, but leaves the bettas immune system and metabolism a bit slow.

A food that I recommend and see recommended quite frequently is Hikari Biogold pellets. It comes in a clumsy package, but the pellets wont sink and bettas seem to warm up to them extremely fast.

As for a good 2.5gal tank..... I'm not really sure. What is your budget? I can personally attest to the Topfin Aquascene 5 Aquarium Kit. The filter does not disrupt the habitat and there is absolutely no current around the tank. However, this is a 5 gallon tank and costs about $50 at Petsmart (may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere). Keep in mind you will need to buy plants/decorations. You should have at least 1 plant to reach the top of the tank for the betta to rest on (they really like to hang out on the leaves). With a filter and a large enough tank, 100% water changes are not needed. You will most likely just have to clean/change some water once a month.

Aquabid.com sells some pretty slick bettas if you are willing to pay the extra money. I picked up my CT male from Petsmart.... sometimes they have a very impressive selection. It's certainly worth your time to go see some fish in person at a local place not only because you may get a pleasant surprise, but you can also verify the health/personality of the fish before purchasing.

Hope that helps. Thanks for taking the time to actually do your research!

:good:

Are you also going to purchase a nitrate, nitrite and ammonia test kit ;) you will need it..

Sounds like you did some searching, some of it is a bit off though.

First up... you can get the pH test if you want, but you really shouldn't worry about it at all unless it goes well below a 5 reading. Why below 5? Well, when cycling if the pH gets too low, it will stall the beneficial bacteria so basically stops the cycling process.
Bettas along with almost all other fish will adapt to varying pH's so it's not something you should worry yourself about. You just want to make sure the pH stays at a consistant lvl whether it be 7.0 give or take some.

You don't have to get a BETTA water conditioner. If it's what I think it is.. a regular water dechlorinator will do just fine. Whichever is cheaper is the one I would get.

Also.. do you only have room for a tank that size? The larger the tank, the more stable it will be and you can do less water changes in it. You can get a 5gallon hex from walmart for I think 35 dollars?
I just looked up the filter, sounds like a good little filter specially since you can adjust the flow.
Since you are going w/ a filter though, it means your tank is going to cycle.
Not sure if you've read up on the cycling process yet? You might want to consider doing a fishless cycle before getting a betta. You can view it here .
If you decide to cycle with fish, then you will need to get yourself an ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate liquid testers. You'll have to make sure the ammonia and eventually nitrite don't exceed 0.25 during the cycling process WITH fish. You'll have to test the water every day and do water changes according to the readings you get.
I would do the fishless cycling method since you seem to want the more expensive type of betta. Plus once the tank is done cycling and you finally have your little guy in there, you'd only have to do small water changes once a week.

With the filter.. you don't need to replace the filter cartridge as much as the instructions tell you to. You should really only shake out the filter cartridge in old tank water. Like when you do a water change, if the filter needs it, take out the cartridge and shake it a little bit in the tank water you just took out of the tank. That should be enough. If you MUST replace the catridge, if there is room, put a new one in along with the old one. Leave it for about a week or 2 so the beneficial bacteria is on it as well. THEN you can throw away the old one.

Have you checked out Aquabid for bettas? There are alot of very gorgeous bettas there. Lots of quality and variety. You'll pay a bit more for them, but if money isn't a problem then def check it out.

Make sure your tank has an easy way of covering it some bettas get excited and jump. I personally prefer to have a glass tank or bowl over plastic for a male betta they are less reflective and doesn't stress the fish as much. I keep live plants and have to have lights so the reflection is worse. Some bettas like to rest on plants and others like to hide in a cave to rest. You certainly have researched everything.

first of all kudos on the ball python! i also had one when i was a kid til he got bigger than my dad cared to like. anyway i agree with the water temp being a bit high. between 76 and 82 is ideal for your betta. :)

25 watt heater for a 2.5 gallon is probably a little much. Walmart sells a tiny one for 2-5 gallon tanks that should be a little better. Thermometer is essential at first though.

25 watt heater for a 2.5 gallon is probably a little much. Walmart sells a tiny one for 2-5 gallon tanks that should be a little better. Thermometer is essential at first though.

But those small ones usually don't have a dial you can turn to adjust the temp. I'd go with the 25 watt. Make sure to test it out first to see where you need to put the temp on the heater and make sure it works properly.

I have the elite mini filter in my betta's tank. The flow can be turned down really low. As far as changing the media though, I've had mine for over a year and the original sponge is still going strong. As there's only the one sponge, if you do want to change it, cut it in half and do one piece at a time.
Just to let you know, the sponge is black but it does not contain carbon - I emailed Hagen, the maker, to be sure!

Thank you so much for your complement! I sure hope I'll be the best care-giver I can be for my Betta.

I noticed Aquabid mentioned on a few other posts, but I was unsure of what to make of it. I know that shipping animals through the mail is not uncommon - Ball Python breeders do it, as do gecko breeders, and even sugar gliders and dogs/cats - but a fish? Are there any risks that could impact the overall health and life-expectancy of the Betta? I'm sure these questions sound utterly noobish, but, I am a noob! I'd be especially worried about shipping an animal from Thailand to Canada in this winter weather. How do these transactions usually turn out? (There are some exceedingly beautiful specimens on Aquabid and it was worth the trip just to look!)
They include a heat pack to keep the little guy (or girl) warm, thankfully. You really just have to worry about stress, but I don't think that would kill it. I live in the New England area, and it gets really cold here this time of year. But as soon as I can, I'm getting a CT male from aquabid. I have my eye on a really nice black one.

Well every one has covered every thing i just wanted to say how happy i am to read this thread, if only more would follow your lead when it comes to researching. I'm sure you are going to be an absolutly fab betta owner :good:

As all the others have mentioned wow!
normall we get first time betta owners here who dont even look into there bettas best interests to them its "just a fish"!
i hope you love your betta...
ou didnt mention where you live...
if you are in the UK i know there are some beautifull bettas for sale on ebay!:)

if US aqaubid is our best option!

:good:

the elite mini is quite a powerful filter for its size, i love them, but your betta wont. small sponge filter would be ideal, a "smalworld" filter could be useful.
if you insist on a power filter, then get the elite mini, but tie a peice of filter foam accross the outlet nozle and angle it to the glass of the tank, this will spread out the flow and keep water disturbance to a minimum :good:

Most reactions

Back