Before And Afters Of My Little Tank

ooh! thanks for all the help guys!

@Just_another_one: does putting an obstruction in front of the output put wear on the motor of the filter? (perhaps i could heat my thank this way too!! j/k) I know that I do NOT have the 1.7gal..that whole line of tank is marketed toward goldfish, because the stuff for betta' is the size of my coffee cup. awful. Also, my lfs guy told me that you can't put a heater in this kind of a tank... (though he may not know his @$$ from his elbow)

@ Jasmine, it does really add a little something to my office! (has your friend figured out how to hook a light source up to it?)

It never wore out the motor on my filter that im aware of.... It ran for a good 2 years or like that so before I stopped filtering my betta tanks. All it did was create lots of bubbles but no current at all which my betta was definitly happy it. It also acts as double filtration :)

Of course you can put a heater in that tank, as long as it will fit. There are heater matts made espcially for small acrylic tanks that go under the gravel but I prefer a small 25 watt subsmirsable heater. Like the one in my picture. You could put it sideways or on a diagnoal. I've always had a 25watt heater in my plastic betta tanks with no problems. Just make sure the heater doesnt touch the plastic and your good to go :)

so here's an update.

I tried putting something over the outflow to kill teh current, and it backed the water up and out the air-tube... and emptied half my tank or more on to the floor behind my desk.

freakin' awesome.

pitched the filter. Been doing weekly water changes while keeping a close eye on my levels. (easy to fix in that tiny little space.. )

:hyper: CHRISTMAS CAME EARLY!! :hyper:

fish small.jpg

10 gal. currently cycling. live plants. No fish. The gin is *purely* for size reference. :blush:

waiting waiting waiting.

I don't know if you can get these where you live, but I use Penn-Plax Cascade 300 filters in my betta tanks for the girls and plakats. I put it on the lowest setting, put a sock over the intake and angle the spray bar at the wall, and the current doesn't bother them at all.

I was thinking perhaps 2 more females (for total of 3 girly bettas and one snail). Add them all at the same time so there's no territory issues, and up the planting/hiding spaces *just* a bit.

I only ask because I know fish with the potential to be aggressive do better in uneven numbered groups.

Thoughts?

I'd put it up to 7. :/ Females in uneven groups *DO* do better, but maybe that's just my females. :lol: I have 7 females and two cory cats in my 10-gallon; they all absolutely *LOVE* it! ^^;

Of course, once they all got a feel for the territory, fights and bullying have been happening a few times a day. Nothing more than just fin nips, though. ^^; It's sooooo funny to watch two females chase each other, and, then, the one stops, and rests, and the other creeps up behind her, and bites her back, which sends the one bitten chasing the biter again. :lol: It's funny. ^^; They're not actually hurting each other, so, it doesn't matter, anyways. XD

I'd put it up to 7. :/ Females in uneven groups *DO* do better, but maybe that's just my females. :lol: I have 7 females and two cory cats in my 10-gallon; they all absolutely *LOVE* it! ^^;

Of course, once they all got a feel for the territory, fights and bullying have been happening a few times a day. Nothing more than just fin nips, though. ^^; It's sooooo funny to watch two females chase each other, and, then, the one stops, and rests, and the other creeps up behind her, and bites her back, which sends the one bitten chasing the biter again. :lol: It's funny. ^^; They're not actually hurting each other, so, it doesn't matter, anyways. XD

Cories should be in a minumim group of 5-6. I dont find Bettas fighting funny, quite frankly.

No, they're just playing! :lol: I know.... Except for my red one. I had to move her out of the tank today; she shredded the fins of my favourite purple female, and flared at all the rest. :/ The rest just play-fight. Not hurting each other. But the red one.... #14####!!!! :grr:

Yeah, if you added more plants and some hiding places and caves, I'd get 5 or 6 more bettas to go with Betty. I'm in the process of cycling my ten gallon, and I'm going to stock it with 6 female bettas.

Yeah, if you added more plants and some hiding places and caves, I'd get 5 or 6 more bettas to go with betty. I'm in the process of cycling my ten gallon, and I'm going to stock it with 6 female bettas. If you do do this, though, be sure to watch out for aggression between them. I heard a little isn't bad the first few days, but if it keeps on going then there's a problem.

I'm waiting for the tank to cycle now.. I put in about 2litres of old tank water (Including fish poo) to get the ammonia happening, but I don't know if it's enough. I tested for Ammonia/NitrIte and NitrAte, and the levels looked good (perfect actually), but I don't know if that's because it's cycled, or if it hasn't started cycling yet. thoughts?

Also, would female bettas and neon tetras get along?

Have you got a filter in the previous tank? If so cut off half of the sponge and pop it into the new filter. This process is much faster than what you are doing now.

The water doesnt really hold any 'bacteria' needed for the filter. The best thing to do as i said is to get some of the old filer material and pop it in the new one. This wil;l take around 3 weeks till fully cycled. Though you will have to keep the ammonia source going with raw meat or prawns.

Or you can run the new filter alongside the old one in your first tank. This method will take longer, about a 4-5 weeks.

I personally would not reccomend the tetras with the bettas. Maybe some cories, that would be a better option.

Hope that helps :good:

Betta_246, why do you reccommend Cories over Tetras?
I do not have a filter in my old tank (see my first post), but i've heard that hanging some of the gravel/substrate in a stocking in the new tank can work in the same fashion. Anyone out there tried that?

Betta_246, why do you reccommend Cories over Tetras?
I do not have a filter in my old tank (see my first post), but i've heard that hanging some of the gravel/substrate in a stocking in the new tank can work in the same fashion. Anyone out there tried that?
Sorry, i should have explained it further. Tetras are very nippy, which is not good for a betta, the chance of infection after the bettas fins are nipped are very high.

Using some of the old substrate will aid a cycle :good:

Most reactions

Back