Because kids like Glofish...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes, there is such thing as a glow betta. That’s sad really. :(

It won't end. The company knows how to manipulate the genes in fish and will do it for every species they can, as long as there is money in it. The only way to stop it is to stop buying their products.

We're proof positive that this marketing strategy works-- there's no way we would have entered the hobby if it weren't for the ooo-candy, shiny-pretty-thing 8 year old girl lure of the altered fish. My husband, who wouldn't buy a GM tomato, didn't have the knowledge to know that these fish weren't natural. I'm willing to bet that's the case for many of the people who buy these. It seems gross on the part of the Glo-Co -- akin to making bubble-gum flavored cigarettes.

I've been intimidated by planting a tank. It's inevitable, though, isn't it? Floating plants might help me over the threshold. Man, this is addictive.
Fish keeping is addictive for sure. I suspect you may soon have multiple tank syndrome;)

I've been intimidated by planting a tank. It's inevitable, though, isn't it? Floating plants might help me over the threshold. Man, this is addictive.
SO addictive! :D
I think plants make everything easier. I started with plants and wouldn't even know how to have a tank without them! Especially now that you have sand, just push in Flourish tabs occasionally (into the sand as directed on the package) and occasionally put in some liquid fertilizer (again, Flourish brand is what was recommended to me). I only recently started using the liquid fertilizers, as after several years of using only tabs, and then a couple of years of using nothing, my floating plants started dying. You can get really fancy with plant care (special substrates, expensive CO2 setups, etc.), but I find it easier and cheaper to just go low-tech and use only as much fertilizer as is needed to keep the plants alive and the fish healthy. Go on! Buy some plants! You can do it! (me being bad influence!) :p

SO addictive! :D
I think plants make everything easier. I started with plants and wouldn't even know how to have a tank without them! Especially now that you have sand, just push in Flourish tabs occasionally (into the sand as directed on the package) and occasionally put in some liquid fertilizer (again, Flourish brand is what was recommended to me). I only recently started using the liquid fertilizers, as after several years of using only tabs, and then a couple of years of using nothing, my floating plants started dying. You can get really fancy with plant care (special substrates, expensive CO2 setups, etc.), but I find it easier and cheaper to just go low-tech and use only as much fertilizer as is needed to keep the plants alive and the fish healthy. Go on! Buy some plants! You can do it! (me being bad influence!) :p
You're not a bad influence. It's good advice. If you told her to buy 35 more tanks without asking for her families input THEN you would be a bad influence. Lol

I must have MTS, I am working on tank #4 and hope to talk wife into tank#5 ;)
You need at least one tank in every room of your house...and sometimes two in some rooms. It's that little voice in your head saying...just one more tank..just one more...and then you tell your psychiatrist.."I know I can stop..I know I can stop!"

You need at least one tank in every room of your house...and sometimes two in some rooms. It's that little voice in your head saying...just one more tank..just one more...and then you tell your psychiatrist.."I know I can stop..I know I can stop!"
For real though

1583245999611.png

Honestly, it's not our fault! There are just so many cool critters to keep and we HAVE to be responsible and keep them properly. I mean, we can't house certain types of fish together or it would just be inhumane! And they NEED a certain amount of space, so we have to give them enough room! We are only being responsible caretakers! Right? Right? ;) :angel:

Most reactions

Back