Beach Rocks

geezer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi there!

I have a question. I went to the beach yesterday and saw some really great rocks on the beach. I was wondering if I boiled them could I use them in my aquarium?

thanks! :good:

Hi there!

I have a question. I went to the beach yesterday and saw some really great rocks on the beach. I was wondering if I boiled them could I use them in my aquarium?

thanks! :good:

i'm not sure what type of rock youre thinking about, but i boiled and soaked some slate i found on a beach, and that was fine.

Remember to put some viniger on the rocks before placing them into the tank, just to check if it is limestone (which harms the water).

:good:

I think what sparky was saying is, if you collect rock from anywhere, a general test to see if the rock is aquarium safe is to place a few drops of vinegar on the rock. If it "fizzies", its no good for your tank, as it will alter water chemistry.

If you find the material does not fix on the addition of any vinegar, clean it well, make sure theres no living creatures on it, and your good to go.

Identify the rock.

Only then will you know how it is going to effect your water. Many are safe, some are not. Some, like limestone will increase your pH which can be a good thing if that's what you want. Avoid metals as they can be toxic.

Thank you everyone for all your replies!

Unfortunately I have no idea what the rocks are as I actually fished them out of Lake Ontario. I boiled the rocks for several hours on sat and then several hours on sunday. I then soaked them in a pail until today and I did the vinegar test and it had no effect on the rocks so I am assuming everything is fine.

Thanks again!

Thank you everyone for all your replies!

Unfortunately I have no idea what the rocks are as I actually fished them out of Lake Ontario. I boiled the rocks for several hours on sat and then several hours on sunday. I then soaked them in a pail until today and I did the vinegar test and it had no effect on the rocks so I am assuming everything is fine.

Thanks again!

Hi,

Thats exactly what I did with my rocks from Cornwall, U.K. They were fine until I swapped them for something else, they did look good though, but I just fancied a change.

Rich

Most reactions

Back