Beach Rocks

linda1503

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all, (possibly silly question). I know that you can't use the sand off the beach because it would probably contain too much salt, but would rocks be ok??

Not for a tropical freshwater set up... I have heard you can cover any stones or rocks you are not sure about in vinegar... if the stones/rocks 'fizz' don't use them... not worth the risk though imo... natural slate is fine though - I use it in my 5G puffer tank...

ok, Thanks for getting back to me so quick. I have seen some really lovely rocks on the beach i visit but i'll not chance it.

ok, Thanks for getting back to me so quick. I have seen some really lovely rocks on the beach i visit but i'll not chance it.

Surely if you soak them first it'd be ok? Rocks are not that porus.

Do not risk it, rocks absorb salt and iodine and will eventually release this into your tank. Even after soaking the rocks it may still be harmful.

I'll just add that it is also very likely to be illegal to take rocks from a public beach in the UK. Check your local bylaws to be sure.

i added beach rocks from the pacific to my freshwater tank and i've had it for over 5 years now. i used a mixture of bleach and warm water the thoroughly rinsed with hot water. i have had no fish losses in that tank.

Most reactions

Back