Bad Egg Smell

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

At the point I wonder if you need to just strip the tank, clean everything and start again. That's the problem with gravel it hides all the crap and you've got a problem before you know it :/

Just thought I'd clear a few things up, if you don't disturb the substrate, no problem and you shouldn't get any nasty smells either unless you disturb it. Anaerobic and anoxic zones develop where certain species of bacteria thrive, their digestion leads to the formation of hydrogen sulfide, a highly toxic gas, but as soon as it is disturbed it is oxidized to Sulphur Dioxide which is responsible for the eggy smell and is completely harmless. I'd rule out other things first before assuming the substrate is causing it.

Thing is it wasn't that long ago I had stripped the tank down due to changing the substrate. It seems to have only happened since I switched to this gravel.

I wonder if there's something else causing the problem then :/ I couldn't even guess as to what!

TThats how I feel there's nothing obvious that could be causing it, my tanks not exactly overstocked any more as I gave some away and moved some to another tank, so frustrating

Most reactions

Back