Bacteria

shockshockshad

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 2 things:

1.) I bought a fliter for my hostpital tank, and I just thought of something. Right now I have the sponge from it in my main tank, to get bacteria on it. It is a BIG sponge, so I have to tie it down in the tank. Once its got bacteria on it i was going to put it in the hospital tank. But if I put it there, the bacteria will starve from no ammonia, and I definately don't want to add ammonia daily untill a fish gets sick. I can't just keep the sponge in the main tank: its so big that it will be very noticeable. what do I do? :(

2.) There is this clear white goop on the bottom of my tank. I can't seem to take a good picture. sorry! It can't be algae, it more like well, goo! It sways with the water, and its stuck to my gravel and rocks, and there are some strands of it in the water. It kinda looks like soap too. Is it bacteria? I know a bacterial bloom is white water, and this is whitish goo. What is this stuff? :blink:

Is the hospital filter an air driven sponge or box, or is it some other sort of filter? What make & model of filter is on the main tank?

Hinsdale is about 40 minutes from me, if you are stuck pm me, I always have extra cycled sponge filters running, as well as spare cycled floss. You can pick it up, or I can get it out to you. I have other aquarists & brokers stopping by here nearly daily, one more won't hurt. Someone is bound to be heading that direction as well.

If the tank with the goo is already well cycled it is probably a buildup of uneaten food and the accompanying bacteria eating it. If the tank is not cycled it's probably a buildup of nitrifying bacteria.

The main tank is cycling right now. I only started monday, the 1st, and ammonia hasn't gone down at all, so i don't think its bacteria, but i hope it is! the main tank filters are an aquaclear 50, and a penguin 150. The 2 put together are enough for my 30 gallon tank- 1 alone isn't enough filteration. The hospital tank is a hydro-sponge 3, an air-drivin sponge filter. the hydro-sponge three is enough filteration for a 40 gallon. I purposely didn't get one with chemical, because that removes medicine.

I just tested the tank this morning and ammonia is down to 2. Cycling is starting to work! I wonder why the bacteria (at least thats what you said the goop was) isn't processing ammonia fast. there's are good amount of bacteria on the bottom. Is the goo going to ever go away? i mean will it move and live in the filter? its not that noticeable, but anyway will it move?

well, i guess my plants will hide the goop, so looks don't matter! thanks for the help.

I bought a filter for my hospital tank, I have the sponge from it in my main tank, to get bacteria on it. Once its got bacteria on it i was going to put it in the hospital tank. But if I put it there, the bacteria will starve from no ammonia, and I definitely don't want to add ammonia daily until a fish gets sick.
What size is your hospital tank? It's not that big of a deal to add ammonia every day to a tank. Once you have the correct ammonia, you find a smaller dropper bottle and fill that for daily use.

Lots of fish stuff comes in dropper bottles. Dechlorinator, stress coat, stress zyme, API test kit bottles, the list goes on. Its the same as feeding fish, you do that daily, make it a routine and add ammonia the same time you feed your fish that way the tank is ready to go when you need it.

Or you could keep a few basic fish in the hospital tank to keep it cycled. But then you have to deal with those fish when its time to medicate.

I prefer the add ammonia daily method, thats what i do with my hospital tank and its always ready to go.

Today my tank's ammonia got to 0. It was at 2-3 yesterday. That was a quick drop! I tested for nitrites (with API) and they were a very deep pink. They were off the charts! I put more ammonia and im waiting untill its 0 again. do i just add and wait, add and wait untill nitrites are 0? How long should that normally take?

My hospital is a 10 gallon. I've been using eye-droppers, because exactly 1 1/2 full droppers gives me 4ppm. When one of my API bottles runs out, I will fill it with ammonia. Good way to recycle testbottles! My dechlorinater you have to pour how ever much you want into the measuring cup (which screws onto the top of the bottle. The cup actually is the lid) and then pour it in your tank. 1mL per gallon. Its the top fin water conditioner.

Today my ammonia was at 0, but I accidently put in 9-10ppm! Will that do anything?

Most reactions

Back