Baby Moss Balls? Link Inside

They're pretty low care plants, but they do better in mid to high level light, IMHO. I have 3 of them, one in low, one in medium, and one in high. The low level one is slowly falling apart, the mid level one is stationary, and the high level one has grown about an inch in diameter since I got it a year ago.

They're mostly decorative, though. They're not fast growing enough to greatly impact one's bioload.

They're pretty low care plants, but they do better in mid to high level light, IMHO. I have 3 of them, one in low, one in medium, and one in high. The low level one is slowly falling apart, the mid level one is stationary, and the high level one has grown about an inch in diameter since I got it a year ago.

They're mostly decorative, though. They're not fast growing enough to greatly impact one's bioload.

i just got 4 of them to try out ill try to learn more haha

Well, basically you plunk them in and ignore them. :lol:

The only thing you have to beware of, is if you use an algaeicide on the tank, it'll kill the Marimo balls, too.

Just roll it every now and then, like when you water change, and they'll stay round and green.

The only thing you have to beware of, is if you use an algaeicide on the tank, it'll kill the Marimo balls, too.

Just roll it every now and then, like when you water change, and they'll stay round and green.

i read if you dont turn it it will grow out flat forming a nice carpet on the substrate.....

Exactly, and it will also brown up on one side. :nod:

i read if you dont turn it it will grow out flat forming a nice carpet on the substrate.....

ewww will plecs eat this? will a good EI cycle kill it?

From what I've read, nothing eats it, only the algaeicide kills it... however, they grow so slowly, that it's unlikely that it'd happen to you unintentionally.

You should see The Tribble, it's on the same site. :D Someone used one of those awful betta hexes, the ones less than 1g, and dedicated it just to one Marimo ball. It was pearling and everything.

are those marimo balls ? I like to call them algae balls, cladopholia somethign forgot the spelling, there are some cases i think of tanks being contaminated with cladophoria algae bec of these balls...

*ps* somebody correct my spelling of cladophoria! its not correct haha

are those marimo balls ? I like to call them algae balls, cladopholia somethign forgot the spelling, there are some cases i think of tanks being contaminated with cladophoria algae bec of these balls...

*ps* somebody correct my spelling of cladophoria! its not correct haha

from what i have read they fight most bad algae....but will continue to research...if nothing else ill throw them in my 10g riccia growing tank.

"fight most algae"

Well, all plants fight all algae, if you look at it in the right light, since they all need the same nutrients and whatnot to live. AS for actual "fighting" I wonder what sort of weaponry they use...

Most reactions

Back