Baby Fishies!

shockshockshad

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This is my first time I have ever had babies! The female swordtail died in birth though. They are so small! I wasn't even expecting them! Should I feed them crushed flakes? Or type of fry food? The male is the only one left, so I WAS going to the LFS to get 3 females, but will they eat the fry? They have plenty of cover. So many bushy plants. I am just so excited! There are about 20.

For best results start a brine shrimp hatchery. The babies grow twice as fast. They take about 3 days to hatch. Congrats, bye the way. The will eat flake w/ no problems.

I have been advised to get a breeder box. Is that good? Or should I put them in my spare 10 gallon?

10g will be better. Breeding trap is really for people who dont have a spare tank to use. :good:

If you must use a breeder trap, get the largest one that'll fit in your tank, and make sure it's made of netting, not solid plastic.

congrats. yeh 10 gal wil be better. for the first 2-3 days they will live of their yolk sack for feeding so i wouldnt put anything in. then feed them crushed flakes and baby brine shrimp. either works.
good luck.
BTW you will lose quite a few babies in the process of bringing them up thats why they have so many. this is perfectly natural.

I really don't mind if I have some babies go. I don't even know what to do with them. Maybe give them to my LFS. (They are a good one)

well what i do wth one or 2 of mine is feed them to my oscar as a litte treat they dont fill him up but its just a little treat and it helps imotate his natural habbitat
goodluk whatever you do with them.
how mny have you got

BTW you will lose quite a few babies in the process of bringing them up thats why they have so many. this is perfectly natural.

I'd be very interested to hear more on this, as i have mollies which breed and i raise every one successfully. Where did you get your info from? Seems completely wrong to me.

I have 20-30. My LFS says they will take them. They also say that if you don't want the babies, let nature take its course- leave them for the other fish to eat. I got a breeding net, but I am having a LOT of troble catching the fry. I haven't even caught 1 in an hour.

Most reactions

Back