Baby Biorb Ammonia Levels Won't Stabilise ?

katsle

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to fish keeping and have a small 15L baby biOrb with 2 platys and 3 neon tetras in it. The tank has been up and running for about 5-6 weeks now. At the beginning I left the tank for 1 week prior to putting any fish in it, after water tests done at the LFS (which were fine) I added a couple of platys, which soon after died :unsure: - Being a novice I tried a couple more fish, one of which died...I spoke to the guy at the LFS and started to do some more research, the guy at the LFS advised me to check the water again, so I bought my own kits, by API. My ammonia was pretty high and I really didn't want my remaining platy to die so I did a 50% water change (added tap water conditioner, stress zyme) and added ammonia remover by Interpet (as advised by the LFS). I also added live plants to try to use up some of the ammonia. I also cut the feeding down to every ther day, and only ever feed as much as the fish will eat (although I know it will come out of the other end!) The ammonia levels started to go down so I have had 2 platys and 3 tetras in it for about 4 weeks now, they swim around quite happily, but the only way I can keep the levels at 0 is to constantly do changes of 15% - 20% which at the minute is virtually daily. I tried not adding the ammonia remover and just changing the water as the water was starting to look a bit cloudy, but then when I tested the water the ammonia was creeping up again :eek:( although the water is now crystal clear again. I was hoping that the beneficial bacteria would have built up by now? I have previously added some chemicals that the LFS gave me to speed up this bacteria process. I know I haven't had the tank running that long, but am worried that with every water change that I do, I am just taking any bacteria that has built up out, therefore starting from scratch every time I change my water, which is the only way I can find of keeping the ammonia down and my fish happy. A few days ago I also used my syphon to clean out the gravel of any rotten matter that might be lying on the bottom of the tank.

Is this just simply a waiting game and test of patience? Am I even doing the right thing? Or is there somewhere that I am going wrong?

I am hoping you can help me out with your answers....Thank you

I'm sure miss wiggle will post better than me but what you are doing is a fish in cycle.
This can take a long time and unless you return fish and do a fishless cycle you need to test daily if not twice a day and keep the ammonia levels and nitrite down to as near zero you can get it.
The bacteria grow in your filter so don't wash the filter sponge under tap water, if you need to wash it in a bucket of tank water.
unless you return your fish and do a fishless cycle all you can do just now is keep doing partial water changes prob about 50 - 70 %
most lfs (local fish shops) will give bad information eg sayign water just has to lie for 24 hours or saying a certain fish is suitable for your tank.
This site is a good resource and everyone will do what they can to help
Good luck with whatever you do

Thanks very much for your help, it has given me a bit more confidence. I agree about the LFS, they have appeared to give me some bad info, I can't return the fish as I have had them for 4 weeks now so they won't take them back...I will just stick at what I am doing basically then. Do you know how often I should change the filter? I know the makers say 6-8 weeks, which I have been told is rubbish, its to get you to buy more filters, but I was just going to wash out my current on in some tank water after a couple of months?? and then replace the whole filter a couple of months again after that? Will the tank need to cycle again when the filter is replaced???

Hi Katsie
You're on the right track with the basics but I would do a 50% water change (never change more than 50%) and then a 25% water change the day after. You won't lose any benefical bacteria by changing water as this bacteria is held in the filter material. the plants and decor ie:rocks etc and the gravel. I would avoid gravel vaccing any mor than once a fortnight at the moment or even once a month to let the good bacteria build up. If you know anyone with a mature aquariun ask them for some of their used filter medium and add it to yours as this will speed up the cycling process. Good luck and keep up the water changes and testing and don,t lose heart.

So I'm still doing those changes...But does anybody know how long a filter should actually last you before changing it??? :unsure:

Most reactions

Back