Babies?

I'll say try to locate some potential home for them. Like check your local store if they are interested in buy/trade your extra Convict babies or juvi in near future? I have no idea how quick those babies grow and need to move to new home but I know they can be tough to find the new home for them I hear.
And I don't know how big is your spawn but I hear they can have many babies. If so I think you should start looking new home for them or else you have way to many fish in no time. :blink:

What do I do to take care of them? At the moment we have 4 tanks. A one 5 Gal. one 10 Gal. and two 20 Gal. We just want to make sure that they will survive. I have never before had baby fishies and would love some in site on how to take care of them. All we have done was to go out and buy some special food for them. As for the homes, well I have a friend who is interested in my fish anyways. At first I wasn't really willing to part because I like them all so much, but with these babies I would love to give them to her. Any information would be loved.

Humm, I don't have any first hand experience of raising convict but I heard and read that they are one of the prolific and easy fish to raise. And most of the time, they end up over populated than the demands in no time. So it is good that you already have the potential home for them.
And I don't know how many babies of them you have and such.
Anyway, here is the link you can read and hopefully have something you can learn meanwhile.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=60086

And probably you would get some good advice from experienced person if you can list the situation(like tank size, fish size and number of off-springs.,etc) and more specific questions. Good luck with your fish. :good:

With the free tanks you have is it not possible to remove the other fish, rather than try to move the fry and parents as a new environment for the fry and parents may cause the parents to swallow up the fry as food due to stress?

This is all assuming that your convict parents are in a tank with other similar sized/aggressive cichlids?

I have not cared for convicts specifically, however I have bred other cichlids like Sajica (another easy breeder), Jack Dempseys & Severums and to be perfectly honest good cichlid parents will look after the fry (and most medium sized cichlids are relatively good parents), you dont even need to buy special fry food cos the parents will eat and mush it up then spit it out in cloud dust at the fry, which they then get nourishment from and grow :)

As an afterthought (I have them occasionally... thoughts that is)...
You may need to know that fish shops generally wont buy or even take fry for free unless they are 1" or over. That means you will only be able to keep 20-30 maximum at 1" in that sized tank without getting ammonia problems, and they will get to that stage at about 3-4 months id guess.

Most reactions

Back