Adding small angels to an established group?

WhistlingBadger

Professional Cat Herder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I'm down to four angelfish in my 150g now, from my original six. I'd like to add a couple of new ones, but I'm unsure how babies would do being thrown in with an established group of adults. Any experiences or insights? Thanks.
T

I think, one of a couple things could happen...(1) the new ones could be killed or maimed, as the others consider that their territory... (2) one or more could show parental instincts, & take the little guys under their "fins" (wings), and accept or protect them... (3) you could get an all out war, as the dynamics have changed, & your regulars won't get along any more...

I'm not sure weather you would have better luck, trying to add babies or adults the same size as the others... in all honesty, you may be better off outside the Angel family, with adding some severums, or similar???

Last edited:
Every time I've added smaller angels with adults it's ended badly. I've always had to remove the little angels and than my big angels were upset for a few days. I've tried it 4-5Xs and never been successful but that could also purely be my set of adult angels.

When the juveniles grew out I was able to introduce them (most of them) in with the adult group.

Angels are my bane, they've always proven to be difficult for me

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses! So, this is going pretty much the way of every other discussion of angelfish behavior I've ever heard. "It'll probably be OK, unless it's a complete catastrophe." :lol: Next up, we'll discuss whether bettas can have tankmates or not...

Thanks for all the responses! So, this is going pretty much the way of every other discussion of angelfish behavior I've ever heard. "It'll probably be OK, unless it's a complete catastrophe." :lol: Next up, we'll discuss whether bettas can have tankmates or not...

Do you have a tank the juveniles can retreat to if introductions don't go well? If so why not give it a shot?

Do you have a tank the juveniles can retreat to if introductions don't go well? If so why not give it a shot?
Not really. This tank is at a business about a half mile from my house, and I usually only get over there about once a week. So if there were problems, they would probably end badly before I knew what was going on.

Not really. This tank is at a business about a half mile from my house, and I usually only get over there about once a week. So if there were problems, they would probably end badly before I knew what was going on.

In that case I wouldn't even attempt it. Angels are too unpredictable

Whenever you want to add new cichlids to a tank already containing cichlids, rearrange the tank just before adding the new fish. This helps to break up established territories and can give the new fish more time to settle in and hopefully they don't get bashed in the process.

Most reactions

Back