At what point is the medication more then the fish?

Airwreck

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I suspect I will get a lot of heat from this statement, but here goes.o_O;)
At what point do folks decide when the cure cost more then the fish?

I was once at the point of heroics, do anything to save my po'fish..then reality slapped me in the face. 20.00 to save a molly or zebra?

I can understand if it's a 100.00 Discus.
I can understand the sentimentality.
But at what point will someone say..
Fish get sick, fish die, let nature take its course..

Go ahead call me an ogre :rofl: :eek:

Like all things, it depends on the situation.

If that molly or guppy is your 4-year olds first fish, I'd bet that many parents would be fine shelling even a couple hundred bucks towards the problem. On the other hand, if you're an adult hobbyist and your friend who is getting rid of their 10-gallon tank gave you their guppies and you tossed them into your 100-gal community tank, unless you're afraid that it's contagious you probably won't go treating a 100-gal to save fish that you're taking as a favor.

Probably multiple viewpoints, but I think it will always boil down to a case by case situation.

I'll preface this by saying that I don't really believe in using medications on my fish, aside from dewormers if needed. Other than that I like to think that proper tank maintenance consistently and frequent large water changes if something goes wrong is all they ever really need.

I think the answer to this is relative and also applies to pretty much any other animal. Someone who can spare $20 might not blink at spedning it on some meds, but someone who can't isn't going to do it - or at least would only do it in certain occasions.

Personally, I'm attached most to my bettas. They have individual personalities and are the most interactive of my fish. I can't think of a length I wouldn't go to to save them if something were to happen that I could cure through medication or other means of intervention.

I have my community tank and I am attached to it on a whole, but not really to any specific fish. I have a school of Harlequin Rasboras and a school of Otocinclus and if a single one gets sick, I may not do much about it. But if the whole tank were to be effected by something, I'd definitely do whatever I feasibly could to save them. But I would start with water changes and increased temps, adding tannins, and only then if that did not work, carefully select a medication to try if that does not work, that's that. I'd be really hesitant to start throwing in multiple medications and just praying for the best.

Then there's also the factor of how old the fish is/are, how much you spent on them in the first place, etc. People with expensive fish are more likely to shell out money for medications and such - but at the same time, they're also more likely to keep the water conditions pristine and prevent illness in the first place.

If you really think about it, think about all the money spent on the tank itself, the substrate, the plants, the decorations, driftwood, filter, lights, heater, etc...the fish are, for most common hobbyists, the least expensive part. I'd have to replace all of the fish in my community tank a few times over before they ever cost me more than their set up, lol.

Most conditions are caused by stress and environment and a medication that will treat and cure this does not exist. Prevention is better than cure.
On many occasions the use of medications is ineffective or counterproductive because the hobbyist has not identified the disease and/or the treatment correctly. Manufacturers compound this issue by making false and exaggerated claims.
Some diseases can be treated by other methods such as heat for ich, darkness for velvet and salt for mild infections; rendering medications for these diseases unnecessary.
Clean good quality water and the right environmental conditions with correct stocking will reduce the need to spend money on medications.

It's a case by case scenario. Will the medication work or will it just prolong misery. Each situation is different. My usual stance first is always to do a decent water change as sometimes the water change either has a huge positive impact or helps them on their way.

I guess my parents were cruel.. :rofl:
They regardless of how young I was..there were never heroics..
I don't disagree that it is case by case..but at the same time.. fish do just die..
And age is an important factor.. both young and old.. both are susceptible to infections.
I am not this vile oger who has no compassion. I hate it when one of my honey bees dies...
I was just curious as to when the guru's here would tell the newbee.. it's time to let go.
Bee well
Bee safe.

Other than that I like to think that proper tank maintenance consistently and frequent large water changes if something goes wrong is all they ever really need.
Wise words. Get the basics right such as regular large water changes, suitable stocking levels and as natural as possible environment for your fish (I mean the environment they expect, not suggesting there is no place for artificial ornaments :)) and health issues will be the exception rather than the norm.

Most reactions

Back