At A Loss, Any Advice Appreciated..

That's really too bad that your troubles continue, but it could still be the effects of any previous poisoning. Once organ damage occurs it pretty much is just a matter of time depending on the severity of the damage. All you can do is just continue with your water changes and hope for the best for the fish. Once your tank is cycled things will be easier!

Sorry for the late reply again.

It is a shame that that has happened :/ Like Meeresstille said, it is probably the ongoing effects of the ammonia poisoning.
There isn't really anything that you can do for him, except stop his water from getting too bad.

That makes sense :)
TBH, I was surprised when he said to let it get that high, but he is the expert so I trust what he said.

How did your calling around go?

Ceramic rings....
CeramicRingsSmall.jpg

Only the seachem prime and aquarium salt should be added, though if you're not having issues with nitrite, the aquarium salt doesn't need to be added.

Your water change schedule looks good :)

That is great that most of them are doing great!

Hey,
Sorry for the late reply, had a bit of a family emergency.

I got some Nutrafin Cycle and have done the dosages as directed but there are some curious results. For 3 days now (since I've been using it) ALL of my levels are at 0. Including ammonia (which, as you recall, was changing daily). Aside from that my pH is (for our tank) abnormally high. It always stayed right at 7.0...sometimes, rarely, inching up to 7.2. I have been consistently between 7.4 and 7.8 since using the Nutrafin Cycle stuff. Is this normal? I put some of that Seachem Neutral Regulator powder in there every day after checking it to bring it down, but it's not doing anything. It's not like it goes down then shoots back up, it just stays up.
Also, I've been using the Tetra Parasite Guard and the fish seem pretty happy/peppy but for that one molly, the clear (almost cottony) poop is still present. It seems to be less frequent, but definitely still there. And she seems to take in food and spit it back out. She did this for days every time she was fed...then I started using the parasite guard and she'd do this 4 out of 5 times she took a bite (once in a while she'd actually eat it). Now she's back to spitting it out every time. Poor thing--it's like she wants to eat, she's real quick to get up to the top of the tank at feeding time, but she can't. (I read this was the parasites, but I just don't know how to get rid of them). Do I need to get more of the Parasite Guard and do a whole other dose on the tank? I've dosed 3 times, every other day so far.

And my other question is this: the Nutrafin stuff was not cheap so I don't want to waste it either. Now that the tank has been dosed with that stuff, I assume I need to wait to do a water change...right? According to my levels I don't need to, but according to the medication package, I need to do a 25% change before dosing again. While I'm at asking all of these questions: how important is that 25% change? Will I overdose them if I don't do it before dosing again?

Thanks for hanging in there with me. This is such a difficult process! At least for a beginner. I just want them to be happy and healthy...

I'm really sorry, but I don't have any experience with nutrafin cycle. 

Hopefully someone that does have experience will comment shortly :)

That's a lot of stuff going into your tank.
I haven't used Nutrafin Cycle but it doesn't have a good rep here... most people who have an opinion on it seem to think it's completely useless.   I would follow the directions on the medication package as that's more important.
I would also try to figure out why your pH is going up rather than trying to control it with regulator products.

Most reactions

Back