Assasin Snails

Dazzlearoobob

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey all,
Have just introduced 3 assasins into my tank to deal with a snail explosion. They were introduced last night but didn't seem to take much notice of the other snails. Is this normal? Do they need time to adjust to their new surroundings before getting down to business?????
Darren

Contrary to popular belief assassin snails are not snail killing cruise missiles. What "pest" snails do you have whose population you want to control?

Most FW snails are gilled snails..... Common pests are: Malaysian trumpet snails, Pond snails, Tadpole snails, pouch snail, ramshorns.

Assasin Snails;
They do kill some snails.
But you dont really notice it.
They don't do the job everyone makes out.
There are several methods you could try.
Put some salad.
Lettuce, cucumber etc.
Put it at the bottom of the tank, leave it over night.
Come back, dispose of the snails repeat it.
Keep an eye out for the eggs and remove them.
Also you can crush the snails, im sure your fish would eat them.

YF

Pond or pouch snails are ideal for assassins however they will only eat one large snail and then digest for 2-3 days or 1-2 small snails and eat everyday. You have no control over this they will eat when they want, assassins are good for limiting population before the population explosion occurs not eradication although if you buy lots of assassins eradication will happen eventually 2-3 months down the line.

Thanks a million Salty.
I also bought a trap and when I got up this morning there were about 15-20 snails in it so I think with a combination of the assasins and the trap I should bring it under control and then the assasins can control the population after that.
Cheers for your help,
Darren

Assasin Snails;
Put some salad.
Lettuce, cucumber etc.

YF

be careful about crushing them ,ive read they can release their eggs when crushed...

Assasin Snails;
Put some salad.
Lettuce, cucumber etc.

YF

i have tried so many times to get rid of mine with putting in cucumber and when i get up in the morning to take it out there are no snails on there

Black out the tank and put some cucumber in there and remove after 2-3 hours and the snails will be on it. You are probably leaving it to long so they eat and leave by the time you get there.

Most reactions

Back