arrowana

I like them too, don't get me wrong, it's just they do get huge for the home aquarium and IMO few people who buy them can actually support them. If I ever had a large enough aquarium though, and the time to maintain it, I'd get an Arrowana but I'm nowhere near that preparedness.

The best starter foods for small arowana's are Hikari floating carnivor sticks and small crickets and mealworms.

I presume your arowana is a silver? These are the biggest of the species and will easily reach 30" in length when full grown and can grow to 48", you can expect it to be 24" within 18 months. To house the fish for life you will need a tank that is a minimum of 10 feet long by 3 feet wide with a depth of at least 2 feet, or 448 US gallons/1693 litres. I have a 15" Australian jardini arowana in a 205 US gallon tank and even though the jardini has a maximum size of 30" and is usually smaller i will have to upgrade the tank to a 8x3x2 (360 US gallon) by the time it is full grown.

I would agree with CFC, a minimum tank to start with in my opinion is 6x2x2 but with a Silver Arowana that will only last 12-18months when it will need to be upgraded to a 10x3x2. The best Arowana to get are the Black Arowanas as they can be housed for a longer period in a 6x2x2 and only reach 30-35" or the Jardini and Asain Arows but the price tag effects the Asains and the Jardinis are very aggressive.

schzaam said:
my arrow is surprisely very tame and calm and was sold in a tankk full off white clounds the reason the arrow was in there was becasus we wanted to test the arrows aggrestion
Wait till he gets a bit bigger and I'll bet you don't have many fish left. You really shouldn't buy one if you don't have room.

How big is your tank?

Hikari floating carnivor sticks are what i used to feed mine when he was younger he also loved bloodworm ,, in the past he has also had live goldfish through this is not practiced any more in his case not a practice worth doing as i have now found out he will eat dead fish ie: white bait, bits of trout etc and he still likes his floating sticks as you can see he is down below :p

used to be below but bike is better :p

They are really sweet fish! They do grow to their enviroment, so, i'd say a minimum of 30 U.S. gallons.

a minimum of 30 gal?!?!?!? how about a minimun of 200?? those things can get 4 feet long in captivity. eventually you will have to put him in something the size of a swimming pool if he doesnt die beforehand. one of my lfs s has one that is a little longer than a foot. they have had him forever and he is in a 6 foot tank that is not nearly big enough! they grow at least an inch per month. i thikn you should take him back unless you have an empty monster sized tank laying around. i saw a pic of a HUGE one on a site somewhere. i will try to find it to show you just how big and unsuitable for aquariums they can be.
i dont think arrowanas should be sold in pet stores.

i doubt you have a tank big enough for this guy.
Arapai.jpg

well i think there great but the only thing is they get 4-5 feet and that huge. only if they had a dwarf arrowan lol

I'd agree with catfish foods that is an Arapaima gigas, there is no chance that it is any species of Arowana. :)

StingrayKid said:
They are really sweet fish! They do grow to their enviroment, so, i'd say a minimum of 30 U.S. gallons.
Fish don't "grow to their environment". Fish get "stunted to their environment". The organs continue to grow even if their "outsides" get stunted. Then, they die before ever reaching their maximum normal size. This is a cruel way to treat fish. When I started out I was suckered into the "they grow to their environment" trap and bought an Irridescent Shark. Then I read up on it and found out how huge they get. Not wanting to be cruel to my fish I arranged for a pond home with a friend for him to live in.

\Dan

Most reactions

Back