Argos Children's Play Sand

Tesco play sand here, but no pH change that isn't the same as the cat litter tanks.

Cosworthlady, is there any other reason you could be having a pH crash? I am not sure of all of the causes, but an ammonia presence could be one. I live in Dundee and the water here is quite similar. I would guess it may be a bit softer, since I would get a little bit of limescale in my kettle in Edinburgh, but never did in Dundee. Soft water has less buffer for pH. Just a thought.

I used Argos play sand for my current tank, and so far, so good. I only have bacopa growing in there, but it came without any roots at all (and evidently not grown immersed :rolleyes: ) but only around three of the 30 stems didn't stay in for good once planted. They all have good roots now - I know this because I moved them recently. I haven't been using fertilisers, either.

i wouldn't use Argos sand again for a planted tank, proper planted substrates are the way to go :D

From what I've read the 'problems' associated with play sand are due to the very fine grain. This means it compacts down very easily (maybe why some plants have difficulty rooting?) which essily causes anaerobic conditions (the visible signs are black lines or pockets under the surface layer) and the fine grain also means that when it's disturbed it balloons up and scatters easily (like when doing WC or due to fish burrowing).

I've personally never heard proof of a direct link between playsand altering pH as it is inert. The only chemical issues have been the release of silicates which is why it is not used in marine tanks.

I had some problems with murk despite washing it all day, but it cleared up soon enough. I haven't had problems with cloudiness after water changes, which is good! I read about the possibility of anaerobic bacteria too, so I bought some Malaysian trumpet snails to help turn it over. I am hoping that between those, and the future pleco and corys there will not be a problem. Also, if you have plants, the roots will help deliver oxygen to the sand. I am not sure how much area away from the plants this affects though, so it probably shouldn't be the only solution.

My pH hasn't changed at all since my cycle completed.

Nothing at all has changed in the tank except the sand. No new fish for a year or so. Same decor and filters done every week in the tank water Thats taken out. I have all the kits and feel so bad for not checking. The nitrite test kit showed up as zero. (nutrafin test kit water clear). The KH/GH test is maybe worrying. I don't really understand it. The GH was below 20 mh. The KH was below 10 mg. Does that make sense to anybody? Is it more to worry about? After another change this morning my ph is up to around 6.

I don't have any problems growing plants in play sand (I have the Argos one too); I have vallis, various crypts, Amazon swords, a red lotus and Indian fern doing perfectly well in it.

Have to agree. I use Argos play sand, and not had any problems with any plants. In fact My Vallis have huge root systems.

Steve

Nothing at all has changed in the tank except the sand. No new fish for a year or so. Same decor and filters done every week in the tank water Thats taken out. I have all the kits and feel so bad for not checking. The nitrite test kit showed up as zero. (nutrafin test kit water clear). The KH/GH test is maybe worrying. I don't really understand it. The GH was below 20 mh. The KH was below 10 mg. Does that make sense to anybody? Is it more to worry about? After another change this morning my ph is up to around 6.

oops Sorry for the duplication.

I think it's maybe more to do with the upheaval of changing substrate that's causing the pH issues rather than the actual sand, I could be wrong just my opinion.

I suspect what was happening was that your previous substrate was buffering the hardness/pH up, and the sand isn't doing that, so it looks as if the sand is dropping the levels of hardness/pH when they're, in fact, not.

so do i Just keep doing the 25% water changes every second day and let the coral sand do its stuff or will i Just test it every day to Watch for a drop? Thank you all for your help.

toys r us play sand here, been inn a few days now I LOVE IT. i dont have real plants though :)

Most reactions

Back