Are These Fish Compatible ?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Joanne_

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello :)

I have recently upgraded my 130 litre (34 gallon) tank to a 240 litre (63 gallon). My local pet shops all seem to say the same thing but I thought I might get some advice from this site as I have done in the past.

In my tank I have:
2 x anglefish (6 c.m., mouth to tail)
3 x bala sharks (7 c.m.)
2 x pearl gourami (9 c.m.)
5 x bristlenose pleco (1 is 10 c.m., came with the tank and the other 3 are 6 c.m., my pet shop just gave to me one day as we are also friends outside of work)
2 x yoyo loaches (7 c.m.)
1 x clown loach (6 c.m., came with the tank, won't be getting more)
6 x scissortail rasbora (6 c.m., came with the tank, won't be getting more)
1 x harlequin rasbora (3 c.m., came with the tank, won't be getting more)
12 x swordtail (3 c.m.)
4 x molly (3 c.m.)
1 x guppy (4 c.m., won't be getting more)
1 x white cloud mountain minnow (3 c.m., given to me as they were emptying their pond, won't be getting more)

Do I need to change this setup right now or will they be okay in this tank for a while ?

I'm wondering if I need to give some of these fish to my sister, but the pet shops are telling me they are all fine in this size tank.

Thanks.

Jo.

There is No way the fish can live together, There is a reason why most people dont listen to the advise some pet shops give. i dont really know where to start as it seems like chaos. Alot of the fishes need to go.The clown loach and bala sharks get really big.

Bala sharks need to be rehomed to a tank size you could not possibly keep in a single room in a house.
Minnows should be kept in cold water instead of warm water, which is why they were in a pond.

I'm just pointing out what I think is wrong, if I say something is fine I mean in that tank size, not saying everything that is fine should all be kept in this tank together as I'm awful at stocking numbers.

Joanne_ said:
Hello
smile.png

I have recently upgraded my 130 litre (34 gallon) tank to a 240 litre (63 gallon). My local pet shops all seem to say the same thing but I thought I might get some advice from this site as I have done in the past. Remember that the pet shops can get money from you. We are purely interested in the well-being of your fish.

In my tank I have:
2 x anglefish (6 c.m., mouth to tail) May be fine, depending on their gender and disposition
3 x bala sharks (7 c.m.) Need to go, these get big, are extremely active, and like groups of 6+. Minimum tank length some would say 8 ft though others would disagree (in favor of something larger).
2 x pearl gourami (9 c.m.) May be fine, depending on their gender and disposition, though not sure how they'd get on with the angels.
5 x bristlenose pleco (1 is 10 c.m., came with the tank and the other 3 are 6 c.m., my pet shop just gave to me one day as we are also friends outside of work) Imagine this may be a bit too many for your tank, re-home 3 and keep a pair?
2 x yoyo loaches (7 c.m.) Need groups of 6+ and reach 6"
1 x clown loach (6 c.m., came with the tank, won't be getting more) Get too large (12", sometimes larger) and active for this size tank, also requires groups of 6+. If you are not willing to keep them the way they should be kept, and upgrade the tank, then re-home them.
6 x scissortail rasbora (6 c.m., came with the tank, won't be getting more) Not sure on these, but apparently they get up 6"
1 x harlequin rasbora (3 c.m., came with the tank, won't be getting more) Need groups of 6+, re-home them if you're not willing to give it what it needs.
12 x swordtail (3 c.m.) That's a lot of swordtails. Depending on gender would imagine there could be lots of squabbling in this tank.
4 x molly (3 c.m.) Should be fine
1 x guppy (4 c.m., won't be getting more) I -think- they're okay as single, but don't know much about them.
1 x white cloud mountain minnow (3 c.m., given to me as they were emptying their pond, won't be getting more) Not tropical, need groups of 6+, re-home if you're not willing to give it what it needs.

Do I need to change this setup right now or will they be okay in this tank for a while ? Best to sort everything out asap, mainly for the fish, and also once you do then you won't have to worry about it anymore.

I'm wondering if I need to give some of these fish to my sister, but the pet shops are telling me they are all fine in this size tank. Giving them to your sister may not solve the problem, depending on her tank size/stock, and her willingness to give whatever fish you give her what they need.

Thanks.

Jo.

Sorry I didn't hear you come into the chat, my sound was off :(

I agree with everything that has been said but I would think that if the White Cloud Mountain minnow were raised in captivity then they would be use to the tropical water.

Seal36 said:
I agree with everything that has been said but I would think that if the White Cloud Mountain minnow were raised in captivity then they would be use to the tropical water.
Being tank bred means very little when it comes to temps, WCMM have evolved to live in waters that vary from ~5C upto ~22C in the peak of summer, these are fish to keep in an unheated tank.

I can't add much, because Ninjouzata really summed it up nicely.

I'll just add this, because sometimes a picture says more than a thousand words...

bala.jpg

Well, I'm no expert but that tank looks way overstocked!
Save yourself some time and maybe a few grey hair and find them a new home!
Those fish will become huge and have a miserable life! :(

Hi welcome aboard! Be advised that the first 3 fishes you have will reach 4 inches in length in less than a year.

@misterpro: omg your bala shark looks like a milkfish now :D

Some of your stocking will depend on the actual footprint of the tank and its height. Angelfish do best in a high sided tank to really show off their heightened body shape.
The gourami should be ok with the angels with regards to water temp and pH levels, as well as the Bristlenoses. I would however look at downsizing the number of bristlenoses especially once they reach breeding age and size. They usually are peaceful fish but males will fight over desired breeding hollows and even females can get narky at each other. Although the females generally wont harm each other.
Harliquins and scissortail rosboras should work ok with the angelfish and gourami, but depending on the angelfishes eventual size and the size of the harliquins the angelfish may see them as food.

The Yoyo loaches would prefer to be with more of their own kind, but two can get along ok. Just keep in mind that one will be dominate and it may spend a lot of its time harassing the lower ranked loach. By having a group any inner group bickering is spread out and generally not only one individual will be picked on.

Definantly rehome the clown loach, preferably into a large tank with more clown loaches, these guys are very social and need their own companions.

The white cloud minnow will also be more comfortable in more of a subtropical tank (or totally unheated) as well as prefer having a shoal of its own kind surrounding it.

Guppies, Mollies and swordtails generally like hard water as where as the other fish you have life soft acidic.

Most reactions

Back