Are My Guppies Pregnant?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sandyroz

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I just bought 4 females and 2 male guppies today and two of the females seem like they could possibly be pregnant. I've never bred guppies before or seen gravid spots on females for myself so I can't be sure. Thank you!

First guppy:
IMG_2788.jpg

Second guppy:
IMG_2790.jpg
IMG_2791.jpg

In a word, yes.  That's a gravid spot and almost any female guppy in a tank with a male guppy will be gravid if he and she are old enough- which isn't very old.  Congratulations, you will soon have fry! 

If they're in with males then they're probably pregnant.  :p  They don't look very big, so their either not pregnant or only a week or less along.  Good luck with them!

Thank you! I got them yesterday from the pet store and they weren't in with any males however they are now. I guess time will tell!

I'm back with a new guppy that my friend gave to me after finding out she couldn't deal with any more fish and that she recently bought. She was kept in a tank with several male guppies (at the pet store included) and she looks more bloated then any of my fish. She is also occasionally swimming to the side a bit funny but not that much. Could it be from being pregnant or is it something else like being overfed? 

Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 6.40.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 6.22.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 6.38.43 PM.png

It's difficult to be certain, but she looks a lot further along in her pregnancy that your other guppies. I would guess she has about a week to go (although it is hard to tell, and young females often don't get as big as more mature ones, so she could be further along than my guess).

Thanks, I was assuming she was just overfed and wanted to make sure in case I would've need to pay a little more attention to what she eats.

So I'm back with a sort of an update. Yesterday while looking around the tank I saw this little guy:
fry.png
None of the six female fish I have even look remotely ready to have given birth and so I was surprised when I saw him hiding in the gravel. Since then I have moved him to my breeder box and is doing fine. However I do know he was dropped sometime yesterday and have not found any other fry. Do you guys know if this is a guppy fry or a molly fry (as I have one female molly) and could the fish that dropped him still be pregnant? I tried taking pictures of all my fish but the quality isn't too amazing:

guppy #1:
Gray.png
guppy #2: 
Orange.png
Guppy #3:
Red.png
Guppy #4:
yellow.png
Guppy #5:
yellow 2.png

Most reactions

Back