Arched Amano

MattW3344

fishy wishy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
The smallest Amano in my 60L has had an arched back for over 2 weeks now. Never seen it go back to its regular position. The Amanos in that tank are over 3 years old now. Is this a sign of age? The biggest one passed away a few days back which I assume was old age.

Any ideas what caused it?

TIA

edit- is it Muscular Necrosis?

Attachments

• 5.png
    5.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Is it's body colour normally like that or did that start a few weeks ago too?

What did the other one that died look like from it's body colour?

------------------

If the muscle tissue is changing colour and going a milky white/ cream colour, then it has a microsporidian infection and that will go through any fish or shrimp that has picked at a contaminated body. You can treat microsporidian infections with salt.

------------------

SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), swimming pool salt, or any non iodised salt (sodium chloride) to the aquarium at the dose rate of 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres (5 gallons).

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria, fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish and shrimp.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket (2 litres) of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.

Is it's body colour normally like that or did that start a few weeks ago too?

What did the other one that died look like from it's body colour?
1. A week or two back. Colour also changed when its back began to arch.

2. That shrimp went into hiding for about 3-5 days I then found it while doing a water change. It had died and turned bright pink and reeked. I did an 80% WC that day as I know its carcass would have been an ammonia bomb.

If the muscle tissue is changing colour and going a milky white/ cream colour, then it has a microsporidian infection and that will go through any fish or shrimp that has picked at a contaminated body. You can treat microsporidian infections with salt.
It's most likely that then. I do have salt on hand which is good. It's just trying to catch it which is a pain.

Most reactions

Back