Aquarium Vac With 50ft Hose (problem)

aquamike

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My tank has been set up now for almost a year. When i set this tank up, i bought an aquarium vac very similar to the python one.

I do weekly water changes using this. When i'm done doing the tank maintenace, i drain the water out of the hose and store the hose in a basement closet. Since i can't get every last drop out of the hose, something like mildew or mold is now showing up inside the hose. When i use it now, flakes of this stuff flakes off the hose and gets in my tank when refilling the tank.

Has anyone else had this problem and knows what i should do to get the hose clean again and to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks for the input,
Mike

Lift one side of the hose up gradually rolling it in until the water has completely come out the other end.It's how I get all the water out.

Lift one side of the hose up gradually rolling it in until the water has completely come out the other end.It's how I get all the water out.

Yeah i do that but i'm thinking the few drops of water remaining is letting something grow in there.

Thanks for the suggestion though

For 50 foot of hose you need 60 feet of sturdy twine, a nail or other weight, and a piece of rag that will fit through the tubing a little snug but not too tight. Tie the nail to one end of the string, the rag to the other. Feed the nail in one end, when it comes out the other tie the piece of rag to the non-nail end of the string. Pull the rag through to clean.

I have a wire puller for doing electrical work, this is ideal for cleaning tubing, as you can push it through, and tie a rag to it. I imagine a length of wire would work the same. If you have these items laying around the house give it a shot.

For 50 foot of hose you need 60 feet of sturdy twine, a nail or other weight, and a piece of rag that will fit through the tubing a little snug but not too tight. Tie the nail to one end of the string, the rag to the other. Feed the nail in one end, when it comes out the other tie the piece of rag to the non-nail end of the string. Pull the rag through to clean.

I have a wire puller for doing electrical work, this is ideal for cleaning tubing, as you can push it through, and tie a rag to it. I imagine a length of wire would work the same. If you have these items laying around the house give it a shot.

Hey John,

Nice to hear from you. Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try. The hose needs cleaned thats for sure.

Thanks,
Mike

Most reactions

Back